Rig Basics

darren123456

I have a pretty basic understanding of rigs and their uses, so a few questions.

The death rig, which noone should use, consisting of stops either side of the ledger.

Removing the stop furthest from the hook you get a running rig which allows the ledger to move up the line freely. What does this mean in terms of fishing for carp with tight lines, hair rigs and baitrunners?

The korda attachments to fix a ledger without it being a death rig don't allow the ledger to move up and down the line. In a death rig you have a certain length of line (say 6") for the ledger to move, but again I don't fully understand what this achieves when fishing with tight lines, hair rigs and baitrunners.

In death rig you mean a shocker? which can be tied safely if using beads that are able to move up/down the line with slight pressure.

I dont see what your getting at with regard to tight lines and baitrunners?

IMO the issues you raise are not linked?? confused

Please enlighten us.

In death rig you mean a shocker? which can be tied safely if using beads that are able to move up/down the line with slight pressure.

I don't know what you mean by a shocker, but I think we're on about the same thing. I'll check the tackle shop for such beads next time I'm there.

I dont see what your getting at with regard to tight lines and baitrunners?

Tight lines is probably irrelevent as that's the only way I know to fish with a ledger, a tight line. Thinking about it using a baitrunner probably doesn't effect the rig choice either, but I wanted to be clear just incase.

Maybe the question is, what's the difference in having a ledger fixed in place, a ledger that can move 6" up the line or a ledger that can run freely?

Korda attachment, i think your on about a bolt rig

this works by having a rig with a swivel attached at the end and can be pulled into the korda saftey clips when the fish picks up the bait it will feel the resitance of the lead and (bolt) hooking itself in the process. If the line breaks the lead will pull free from the safty clip just leaving the rig.

Death rig this is a term when people put (normally a weight) either side of the lead (instead of useing a rig with swivel and buffer bead) this in tern makes it a bolt rig but if the line breaks the carp will be left trailing the lot around with it which can snag and kill the fish :cry:

but if you use a rig with swivel and buffer bead this is a free running rig

the differance between the two.

bolt rig you dont need to strike just lift into the fish.

free running rig you will normally need to strike into the fish.

not sure if this makes any sense or what you wanted to know

So a fixed ledger will hook the fish automatically.

A ledger with a 6" run would do the same, but gives the fish slightly longer before it feels the weigh of the ledger.

With a ledger free to run you need to strike into the fish.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the above? How do you decide which is appropriate :?

I have a pretty basic understanding of rigs and their uses, so a few questions.

The death rig, which noone should use, consisting of stops either side of the ledger.

Removing the stop furthest from the hook you get a running rig which allows the ledger to move up the line freely. What does this mean in terms of fishing for carp with tight lines, hair rigs and baitrunners?

The korda attachments to fix a ledger without it being a death rig don't allow the ledger to move up and down the line. In a death rig you have a certain length of line (say 6") for the ledger to move, but again I don't fully understand what this achieves when fishing with tight lines, hair rigs and baitrunners.

Have a search using the terms Bolt vs Semi Fixed vs Running lead.

In fact at the top of the Rig Tying section there is a pic of a safe Running lead set-up:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?p=272364#272364

Anywhere where the Lead cannot be ejected makes a rig a Death Rig. The original of that was a swivel either side of the lead and SHOULD NOT BE USED.

The SEMI-Fixed (Bolt Rig)should hook a fish automatically, but its case now that many Carp have wised up to this and are able to use the Semi-Fixed lead to actually eject the hook.

A Shocker Rig is basically a Free Running set-up, only after a particular distance there is a Stop (able to come off in the event of e breakage) that comes into play after a certain distance.

Semi-Fixed/Bolt rigs should be fished with a Tight line, and Running leads with a slack line and the indicator either not on the line or hanging straight down