Brolly systems opinions

After months of looking I’ve still not committed to anything. There’s just so much choice on the market. I’m now really tempted with the Proloic Commander VX3 system love the idea of the flat back and zip in groundsheet. Looks a quality piece of kit.

Has anyone had anything to do with 1 or seen 1 on the bank? 

2 hours ago, Chippie81 said:

After months of looking I’ve still not committed to anything. There’s just so much choice on the market. I’m now really tempted with the Proloic Commander VX3 system love the idea of the flat back and zip in groundsheet. Looks a quality piece of kit.

Has anyone had anything to do with 1 or seen 1 on the bank? 

Here's a decent review of it Chippie, albeit fresh out the bag..... Haven't used one or even seen one.... The overall weight of 13kg plus would put me off tbh. And I'm not too sure about a zip in ground sheet either, zips could get clogged with dirt easily. And it looks like you can't really peg it out properly unless the ground sheet is already zipped in (if you are going to use the ground sheet, that is), which could give you a few probs if you are setting up in wind and rain..... I could also see the zips going if you moved your bed chair for instance to get at something, and put any pressure on them....... Just my thoughts.  I've also owned a brolly system of similar shape and design and although the central spoke above the door way offer better rain run off, the distance between the storm poles offers little stability and will have the whole of the front panel flapping about in the wind, which eventually pulls the pegs out, especially if there are gravel banks on your lake..... Like I say, it's just an opinion and I'm a big fan of brolly systems over a bivvy, but I'm not too sure about this one based on weight and the zip in ground sheet.

Have you considered the Wychwood MHR (maximum head room) brolly?

I'm a big fan of Wychwood brollies, having owned the previous model (Solace HD) for about 5 years having experienced no problems whatsoever.
The material they use is second to none, and they are unique in that they come with a 5 year warranty.

I upgraded to the MHR early this year, and despite only using it twice so far I am very impressed with it. The headroom is much, much better than my old Solace and because I can now push my chair/bedchair much further back, there appears to be so much more room and you are well tucked away out of the rain. Plenty of space for my luggage and other bits and pieces. I went for the 60" by the way, I personally wouldn't bother even looking at the 50" "Compact" version.

It's a doddle to put up, and is very rigid. Also has a small area of groundsheet pre-attached at the rear, which is a godsend when setting up on wet/muddy ground. Also has two handy pockets built in at the back to hold important valuables like mobile phone, alarm receiver, keys that sort of thing. Saves scrambling around in your gear looking for them.
You can buy an overwrap for it, but I haven't bothered because I only tend to fish the warmer months when condensation doesn't rear it's ugly head or total protection isn't needed.

A newer rear vented model has just been introduced, but personally I wouldn't pay the extra for it. The material used is much better than some other brollies out there, and that in itself offered better shade.

I can highly recommend it, and I picked mine up (60") for just under £120.00 brand new. Bit of a bargain.

Edited by smufter

27 minutes ago, smufter said:

Have you considered the Wychwood MHR (maximum head room) brolly?

I'm a big fan of Wychwood brollies, having owned the previous model (Solace HD) for about 5 years having experienced no problems whatsoever.
The material they use is second to none, and they are unique in that they come with a 5 year warranty.

I upgraded to the MHR early this year, and despite only using it twice so far I am very impressed with it. The headroom is much, much better than my old Solace and because I can now push my chair/bedchair much further back, there appears to be so much more room and you are well tucked away out of the rain. Plenty of space for my luggage and other bits and pieces. I went for the 60" by the way, I personally wouldn't bother even looking at the 50" "Compact" version.

It's a doddle to put up, and is very rigid. Also has a small area of groundsheet pre-attached at the rear, which is a godsend when setting up on wet/muddy ground. Also has two handy pockets built in at the back to hold important valuables like mobile phone, alarm receiver, keys that sort of thing. Saves scrambling around in your gear looking for them.
You can buy an overwrap for it, but I haven't bothered because I only tend to fish the warmer months when condensation doesn't rear it's ugly head or total protection isn't needed.

A newer rear vented model has just been introduced, but personally I wouldn't pay the extra for it. The material used is much better than some other brollies out there, and that in itself offered better shade.

I can highly recommend it, and I picked mine up (60") for just under £120.00 brand new. Bit of a bargain.

What length is your bedchair Smufter? :)

11 hours ago, B.C. said:

Here's a decent review of it Chippie, albeit fresh out the bag..... Haven't used one or even seen one.... The overall weight of 13kg plus would put me off tbh. And I'm not too sure about a zip in ground sheet either, zips could get clogged with dirt easily. And it looks like you can't really peg it out properly unless the ground sheet is already zipped in (if you are going to use the ground sheet, that is), which could give you a few probs if you are setting up in wind and rain..... I could also see the zips going if you moved your bed chair for instance to get at something, and put any pressure on them....... Just my thoughts.  I've also owned a brolly system of similar shape and design and although the central spoke above the door way offer better rain run off, the distance between the storm poles offers little stability and will have the whole of the front panel flapping about in the wind, which eventually pulls the pegs out, especially if there are gravel banks on your lake..... Like I say, it's just an opinion and I'm a big fan of brolly systems over a bivvy, but I'm not too sure about this one based on weight and the zip in ground sheet.

Seen this review and it’s the 1 that has seriously made me consider it. I’m a big chap of 6”7 so have a wideboy bedchair for the length and the space inside looks massive for a brolly. 

The weight doesn’t put me off to be honest the lakes I go 2 you can park next to your swim or have a quad service that drops you gear off. 

1 of my concerns was dirt getting into the Zip but in all honesty the lake I tend 2 go 2 for most of my overnighters 1 has clean bark swims so probably wouldn’t be bothered about using the ground sheet 2 much. The lake I would use it is on is gravel but has a lot or rats (which I hate) so the zip in sealed pod really appeals.

not considered the size of the door flapping around so that’s a good point. But that said it will only be for 1 nighters over the summer. I have an aqua bivvy which I use for winter and longer sessions plus hopefully be 2 busy catching to worry about sleep lol. 

2 hours ago, Chippie81 said:

has a lot or rats (which I hate) so the zip in sealed pod really appeals.

I can see you point, although they don't bother me too much. Wasn't trying to put you off, just mentioning what could imo cause the odd pain in the butt. Some things you never really find out until you've already shelled out. The promo vids help with all the plus side of things, the negs, you learn on the bank..... Go for it, if you like the look of it...... Happy hauling...:)

4 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I can see you point, although they don't bother me too much. Wasn't trying to put you off, just mentioning what could imo cause the odd pain in the butt. Some things you never really find out until you've already shelled out. The promo vids help with all the plus side of things, the negs, you learn on the bank..... Go for it, if you like the look of it...... Happy hauling...:)

This is exactly my worry mate. Promo vids never tell you what you need to know. And at £350 it could turn out to be an exspensive mistake. Which is why I’m hoping someone on here has had some dealings with it. 

Not seems I convince myself that it’s the 1 for me but then hesitate when I’m ready to order it 😂

Just now, Chippie81 said:

This is exactly my worry mate. Promo vids never tell you what you need to know. And at £350 it could turn out to be an exspensive mistake. Which is why I’m hoping someone on here has had some dealings with it. 

Not seems I convince myself that it’s the 1 for me but then hesitate when I’m ready to order it 😂

Yeah, it's a nightmare choosing, given the choice these days..... hopefully someone who uses one will comment.

I've just gotten rid of my supa to get a lo pro, to be honest, I thought I'd made a mistake when I first purchased it, but it's grown on me and I like it, it's not the biggest brolly in the world but suits me fine, especially with the addition of storm poles to raise and lower the front. It''s perfect as I never use a ground sheet or front even through winter. ESP are releasing a wrap and mozzi front next month, I might be tempted for the mozzi front but it depends how much the bugs get on my nerves this year.

3 hours ago, Gazlaaar said:

I've just gotten rid of my supa to get a lo pro, to be honest, I thought I'd made a mistake when I first purchased it, but it's grown on me and I like it, it's not the biggest brolly in the world but suits me fine, especially with the addition of storm poles to raise and lower the front. It''s perfect as I never use a ground sheet or front even through winter. ESP are releasing a wrap and mozzi front next month, I might be tempted for the mozzi front but it depends how much the bugs get on my nerves this year.

At 6ft 5 not sure a lo pro would be an ideal purchase for me. 

I think I’m ordering the prologic VX3 tomorrow morning 👍