hair positioning

ozric

Not talking about wigs :D

I have seen a lot of rigs in magazines recently where the hair is trapped with not one but two pieces of silicon so the the hair/line follows the curve of the hook with the actual hair coming off the bend as opposed to off the shank.

In my mind this doesn't seem right, surely the hook has less chance to catch if the bait is blown out with this type of presentation ? Or am I missing something ?

i think its because the way the rig is designed there isnt the chance for it to get rejected, the way the hair is, it means the weight of the bait dropping down in the mouth turns the hook so it cant get rejected. personally, i prefer the untouched simple hair rig but with a longer hair, maybe 20mm hair lenght between bend of hook and bait

is it actually silicon or is it small tubing (not shrink tubing) which as the carp trys to blow the bait out it moves up the shank and helps to set the hook

Don't think so. The tubing looks tight and is positioned at the centre of the curvature (round bend hook ), Can't see it being a blow back rig.

Think I have just got to stop reading carp mags some of the guys at work bring in. Just complicates your own fishing. :D
i make you right there mate, just confuses ya, you can have complete confidence in something then read a mag and it blows it all out of the window

The Hair Attachment pics I knew I had somewhere.

Taken from Andy Littles, Anglers Mail Guide to Carp Fishing

HairAttachment.jpg

This pic must be from the 80's, but even then there was always the playing about with Hair positioning to find the best place to tie the hair.

The original hair was from the bend of the hook, then was played around with to see what worked best.

Must admit all the hairs I tie seem to come off the shank, almost opposite where the Barb is or would be in barbless patterns.

Not talking about wigs :D

I have seen a lot of rigs in magazines recently where the hair is trapped with not one but two pieces of silicon so the the hair/line follows the curve of the hook with the actual hair coming off the bend as opposed to off the shank.

In my mind this doesn't seem right, surely the hook has less chance to catch if the bait is blown out with this type of presentation ? Or am I missing something ?

As Nick pointed out, the original hair rigs came off the curved part rather than the shank. Whether or not it is more efficent than having the hair of the shank, I wouldn't know. But why not give it a go ?

I would give it a whirl myself (especially if I as fishing a pressurised water that might give me an edge), but fishing where I do, it isn't really the place to be experimenting :cry:

Agree Ozric,I'm not totally convinced with this either.Some people were even talking about the weight of the boilie pulling the hook down into the carps mouth with the hair positioned right round the bend.I prefer the bait to be well out of the way of the hook when it's blown out otherwise it can get in the way of the hook getting purchase in the carp's mouth

Some people were even talking about the weight of the boilie pulling the hook down into the carps mouth with the hair positioned right round the bend.

So with that idea in mind, a critically balanced bait would be pointless :? A heavier bait would be required for this theory to work.