Fishing around J6 (M25)

Whilst I have only got into carp fishing recently, I have been fishing around here on and off for 20 odd years and I have fished most of the local places many times.

Godstone Vineyard just north of J6 is on the A22 southbound carriageway. It was a great place to go especially for youngsters who would catch numerous small roach, carp etc.. on maggot or worms. There were some nice 20+lb carp there and I have seen several caught. Sadly that is no longer the case. I recently fished it along with two others who had been there twice that week and they both said they had seen other anglers catch nothing. Rumours have been rife for some years that a lot of the fish have gone. I will let you draw your own conclusions as to where. My day there was a total blank, the other two had a couple of very small roach and a gudgeon, one man did pull out a nice looking carp of around 8-9lb.

Warwick Wold is relatively new but is growing in reputation. You can see it as you come down Reigate Hill (M25 bit) as you head anti-clockwise, before you get to junction 7 (M23). A friend of mine has fished it several times and speaks very highly of it as do others I have met. A neighbour and his father fished it once last winter and again at Easter, both had a lot of fun and landed a couple of good fish each. This is the next place on my list to visit.

Tandridge Lake is worth a visit but you must book in advance. The number of anglers is controlled and you will need the code to get in. Great place for both kids and adults. A good number of carp up to mid 20's (fish the far end either side or behind the second island) and some nice Tench (fish by the stables). Everywhere else will produce smaller specimens but it will be fun. The car park is big enough for a dozen cars, nets must be dipped and there is a loo.

Edenbrook I mentioned in another post on the topic. In short, nice place, book in advance, get there early.

Beaver Farm (A22) just past the Mormon Temple before Felbridge. Lost count of how many times I went there over the years. Pike (in the winter) worth a go, several lakes some with big carp and catfish. Best to read their website first and ask when you get there what is fishing well. Personally I found tangerine boilies always worked well especially on Moat Farm Pond as did a method feeder. Others may disagree. 

I hope this may be of interest to some of you.

• 4 weeks later...

Just done my third day at Tandridge Lake this week and I had my best days fishing ever.

A lovely mirror weighing just under 18lb an hour after I arrived started the day off in great style. This was quickly followed by a lovely little common of 3lb. Nothing then for nearly five hours but between 2-3pm I got two more commons of 12lb and 12lb 4ozs respectively (one on each rod) and to round it off another little common of just under 4lb. Five carp weighing around 48lb. I'm chuffed to hell. 

I must say thank you to the owners David & Marge for the effort they put in throughout the year. 

• 1 month later...

Wire mill is just before beaver farm on the left of A22. Supposed to have a few20+ but only been there once. Had a few nice looking early doubles. Rumour has it some of the fish from beaver made it in there when we had floods a few years ago. Ive seen other pleasure anglers having pleanty of silvers. Good for fiver in the honesty box + the food in the pubs great if you get hungry.

Just spent friday at Hunters lodge. On A264 near M26 Copthorne. Not a big venue 6 swims/anglers on each lake. Took my 5 yr old for his 1st overnighter. Great fun. We had 12 fish, Lovely looking commons & plated mirrors upto early doubles on jacks lake. Sposed to hold a few 40s on Micks lake!! £25 reasonable price.

Funnily enough a colleague who lives in Crawley is due to fish Hunters Lodge this weekend. I had heard it is nice and quiet and the owner restricts the number of anglers there.

I fished Wire Mill with my son some years ago. Not a good day as I remember (grass was taller than him) and the guy with the speedboat and his waterskier mate didn't help. 

I fished a half day at Tandridge Lake last Tuesday and had three nice carp between 3-9lb. The other anglers all seemed to get a very good mixed bag. Still no sign of the elusive 20+lb's or the tench. But we know they are there. Somewhere:(

Jeff's Lake at Beaver Farm was fishing brilliantly. I went there twice in mid July and everyone seemed to be catching carp up to low doubles.

Don't know if this will help you guys out but I used to fish wire mill many years ago (don't ask I mean MANY!) the place was generally 5 to 6 ft of water and at least 10 ft of silt !

Many silver bream and a few tench back then.

I know stocking changes things but with waterskiers Saturday , sunday and Wednesday that silt is always going to be loose and in suspension.

Good luck.

Good pub mind ! lol don't ask what has happened in that carpark when we were younger !!!!!

Cheers

Ian

I don't normally fish either matey, i did go stalking yhete a few years ago with a local mate, from what he said the bigger carp from both the hedgecourt lakes have been nicked. I think its egac water, not sure if theres any tench thete, probably because i haven't heard of tench thefts.

Heard the same of the Poles eating all the fish at Lakeside.

Recently tried hunters lodge with my young son & a mate on the smaller lake. My mates going to join for £30 & 25 for every24hrs. Supposed to be a few 40's

Ian, It's called Saint Hill Manor now. You have to go through the main security gate and show your membership and rod licence to security. Apparently it's at their discretion as to whether or not you get in. Or out:lol: I did a delivery last year to the manor (before I knew they had a lake) and it was a weird experience. Cameras watch you as you drive in, you have to be buzzed in, give them the reg no, tell them where you are going and you are watched all the way until you leave. The freaky bit was the staff, members, or whatever you call them. They all dress and look the same. I thought I was in a movie:o

Hee Hee That sounds right I remember saying to my then partner in crime it was a bit like Stepford wives lol.

Did you ever get to Pipingford park back in the day when it was day ticket?

Possibly an old git thing but what a beautiful place and still the one that I dream of !

Cheers

Ian

I went to the ice rink they had up there at xmas. As you say very weird, wierd!..

I was told of a beast in the little pond on coombe hill rd. Asked the new warden of the apartments if i could fish but was told no.

Where abouts is pippngford park??

Have you fished Weirwood? I heard theres a new owner again.

Unfortunately I moved away from that area long ago (1987 to be precise) Weirwood wasn't open to us scruffy coarse fishing types back then.

Pipinford is on the main road from East Grinstead going towards the coast, look for the sign for Chelwood Vachery on the right and pull into the layby on the left (all information given liable to be out of date !) 6 or 7 lakes at the bottom of a valley try looking it up on the web !

Absolutely cracking place and the first place I ever shared with a red deer coming down for a drink, also squaddies with thunder flashes in the middle of the night lol.

If you find it and go down let me know what you think.

Cheers

Ian

That Scientology place used to belong to founder L Ron Hubbard . I worked there a couple of years back.  There's a climate of control and intimidation about the 'volunteers' there but the pond is far enough away from the manor house to afford some seclusion.  Most of the slaves are too busy doing their thing to bother you. There's an aura  of gloom over it all.

• 8 months later...

Nine months have passed since my last post and I still haven't been to Pippingford:( 

Just found out that Godstone Vineyard has closed its lake permanently as of last November. Sad really as a lot of people would of used it and it was half decent, once upon a time. Pity the owners couldn't be bothered with it.

I have had two sessions in the past week at Tandridge Lake and that is fishing well. Several carp on the surface and it's only April:o

Beaver Farm is also fishing well according to my friends.

Happy fishing to you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Pipping Ford is closed till June. Ian was most gracious telling us about the place. Amazing is an understatement. 

For obvious reasons when you have seen it, it's the kind of place you won't want too many angler's on. 

Had a nice one from a friends syndicate lake last week. Full of spawn. 

Have you thought of an Isfield ticket? A few people I know fish Horsted Keynes, Imber Horne & Dormans land. Well priced @ £70-90sh.

Be lucky 

Hi Commonly I am glad you appear to have fallen in love with the place as much as I did all those years ago.

Whilst I was down visiting an old friend now retired (strewth we used to go drinking and womanising together ) I was wondering if anyone fishes the Bay Pond in godstone or the chain of lakes behind the church that run down to a mill house near Fairalls yard ? Waters were part of Godstone angling club back in the 70`s but the club seems defunct now (Shame !)

Happy days lol

Pippingford is members only and £150 p.a But with all that water to choose from and membership restricted, I am giving it serious thought.

I have heard that Bay Pond in Godstone is a poor place these days. No idea how you fish  the chain of lakes behind the church. You are correct, Godstone AC doesn't seem to exist anymore.

2 hours ago, ianfrog said:

Hi Commonly I am glad you appear to have fallen in love with the place as much as I did all those years ago. 

Absolutely! I take my son there, had a few pike over the Xmas period. 

Can't wait for it the new season. I will give you notice as I remember owing you a guest ticket. 

Nearly shat myself when the cadets came past me at the army lake. Guns blazing! Ha. Ha. Great memories already! 

Ive walked bay pond a few times. Owned by some nature reserve, so I'm not sure if you can fish it. I heard there's only small carp & silvers put in there since they drained it a few years ago. 

Had lunch at wire mill the other day, closed season.

Talk has it, a few of the bigger ones came from beaver in the floods of 97? Or is it a fisherman's tale?