Spod rod for under £120

Hey guys, you may have seen my other thread regarding the longbow df spod and marker. Ive always wanted the full set of longbow rods, having 3 x 3.5tc normal rods. As you are probably aware daiwa have brought out a new version of the longbows and infinity df models. I never really had the money to warrant £400 for spod and marker rods, but as they will soon be disappearing im feeling pushed to buy them. However after trying to do as much research on them as possible i keep coming across threads here and else where with people raving about lower price rods. My thinking is why kill myself to buy the longbow versions, if i break one i wont be able to replace it in years to come anyway, meaning i wont have the full set. Im still undecided as to what to do. Below are a list of cheaper rods that i like the look of or have heard good things about. 

Fox torque spod

Nash entity duo spod and marker

nash knx spod and marker

Daiwa whisker spod and marker

Anyone used any of the above? Or can recommend a good spod and marker set up for under £120 (per rod). Any help on this would be much appreciated as ive never owned a dedicated spod and marker rod, used old fishing rods in the past. I dont think ill be trying to hit over 100 yards as most of my fishing is close in but still be nice if the rod could do that. I do however plan to use the larger spods/spombs.

I use a sonik sks spod rod and it's easily good enough for the job. I have a mitchell avospod reel on it. Whole set-up with braid purchased off the bay  in bulk for about £70 if you look around. Way I see it if I break the reel its only £30 to replace it. and the rod can be replaced for £35-45 depending on where you look.

I can hit 100yards without using great casting technique with that set up. 

2 hours ago, chillfactor said:

If you do a lot of spodding keeno 

Reel = Daiwa emblem spod 

Rod = free spirit 13ft spomb , which is in budget. 

I dont do a lot tbh mate, Its more for my zigging, ive got a nash ball maker which i can get a considerable distance, but the mix is just to dry to disperse in upper layers, hense the idea of a spomb to carry out my super sloppy zig mix. Im not a lover of particle tbh, if i can get away with boilies i will. So its not going to be every session, pobably very few tbh. Also i dont really fish over 80 yards, just prefer smaller waters or finding spots closer in on larger ones, thats why i like the look the whisker spod/marker, its 4.24tc so not an all out broom stick and will be easier to work with in close.

This is the bad bit Hutch, ive never used one. So without giving it some welly at a lake im not gonna be the best judge. Thats why im drawn to the whisker as ive used daiwa rods since i started, have the longbows atm but i just cant stomach £400 on the spod and marker versions, the next one down is the whisker, same fittings and fixtures aswell. But am open to peoples opinions as i know very well that you dont believe everything you read on a online store, better to ask people who actually use em.

While we on the subject of distance and the amount ill be using it. I started another thread about needing a shockleader or not, i got a 80lb braid here but its 0.50mm, i was going to use it on just a spod rod as i was only going to get the llongbow spod at the time, now ill be buying a spod and marker and after reading about the problems a really thick braid may cause, ive decided to go for whiplash in 30-45lb for marker set up and 50-65lb on spod, diameters are tiny on the whiplash, will i need a shockleader with that sort of breaking strain? As above i wont be giving it the biggun distance wise. I like the idea of no knot to leader tbh.

I've used the whiplash & wouldn't buy it again tbh , cast superbly but doesn't like going round the sticks the amount of times it would knot massively when reeling back in was head doing. ( which I  put down to it drying out so quickly)  meaning lost time & braid & lots of albrigt knots lol 

You also need a leader with it as it's dineama braid & ultra thin .

8 hours ago, chillfactor said:

I've used the whiplash & wouldn't buy it again tbh , cast superbly but doesn't like going round the sticks the amount of times it would knot massively when reeling back in was head doing. ( which I  put down to it drying out so quickly)  meaning lost time & braid & lots of albrigt knots lol 

You also need a leader with it as it's dineama braid & ultra thin .

Whiplash is awful stuff!

I used it for pike fishing and it is tangle city. It tangles round an anti-tangle boom, and the hook and uptrace would both get caught above the float. 

I use this stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000M-BRAIDED-FISHING-LINE-SPECTRA-PE-DYNEEMA-1094-YARDS-BRAID-100-SUPER-STRONG/271570851226?_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D43262%26meid%3Df2645aa2b30a427583d97d08f63cf237%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

I think I bought it in 40lb and use it straight through. Only crack off i've ever had was when the swivel on the spomb came apart. Cheap, up to the job and a choice of colours. Just a warning the dye does come off when wet so when spooling or prolonged spodding/marker work be careful of your hands and wipe down the line roller. I soaked my second spool in water for a day and spooled it tight through an old cloth, did the job getting most of the excess dye out.

yep, large spomb full of particle... no problems. What I do is tie a kwik link direct to the braid so I can change spomb size or over to a lead to ensure correct distance . I rarely am spombing over 100yards much, so it may come unstuck if used rigourously at long distances but so far for me there has never been any problems

Just to throw a spanner into the works, I've been spombing/spodding on a regular basis in excess of 100 yards. Now I'm not really a fan of carrying multiple rods so mine have to perform a number of duties. 

I purchased shimano velocity's, 12ft 3.25lb tc. These rods coupled with 12lb sensor and esp 45lb shock leader have performed admirably. I do use the medium sized spombs and impact spods, and yes it may take a bit longer to get large amounts of feed out but I can tell you from first hand experience it's a great set up.

17 hours ago, Gazlaaar said:

Just to add, get a finger stall, I had a near miss last year being lazy, get the fox or daiwa versions as they wrap around your hand, I had no end of problems once the Korda finger stalls got wet, they kept coming off into the drink in front of me.

Got the fox one mate, had the korda finger one in my box for ages, but preferred the look of the ones that wrap around your hands.