Berkley Nanofil

Hey, guys. Has anyone tried out this line? At 0.20mm dia it has a breaking strain of 12.6 kilograms! That's insane if you compare it to other lines, like for example the Daiwa Sensor which has a breaking strain of 1.8 kg with the same diameter. It seems too good to be true. Any input? Is it worth the money? Does it last long, or does it lose its strength quickly? 

I think you've got it slightly wrong (although the quoted diameter is still very low compared to other lines).

Checking the Berkley website, they are quoting a breaking strain of 5.4kg (12lb) for the 0.20mm

As I say, that is still very (very) low compared to others.

My favoured Shimano Technium Black is 0.35mm for the same breaking strain, although looking at the Shimano website their breaking strain chart doesn't make a lot of sense. Despite saying 12lb for the 0.35mm they are listing it in kgs at 11.5??????

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/content/eu/en/Home/products0/lines/monofilament/technium-mono-uk-2016.html

Nanofil is like a cross between a braid and a mono is the best way to describe it I suppose, as it is a uni-filament, like one piece of material formed into a chain if that makes sense.

Now I am not sure on diameters as what we sell in the UK may well have American inches as opposed to European metric, but I do know it is thinner than mono in the same breaking strain.

I haven't used it myself as I use other braids for my pike fishing, although I do know some of the roach anglers use some of the lowest diameters on Alton Reservoir when hitting feeders a long way to get into roach. Bite detection apparently improved, and casting distances are improved, but, and that is a but, a thinner line should cast further than a thicker line anyway

I think you've got it slightly wrong (although the quoted diameter is still very low compared to other lines).

Checking the Berkley website, they are quoting a breaking strain of 5.4kg (12lb) for the 0.20mm

As I say, that is still very (very) low compared to others.

My favoured Shimano Technium Black is 0.35mm for the same breaking strain, although looking at the Shimano website their breaking strain chart doesn't make a lot of sense. Despite saying 12lb for the 0.35mm they are listing it in kgs at 11.5??????

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/content/eu/en/Home/products0/lines/monofilament/technium-mono-uk-2016.html

looking at their website i would do one of two things.

1) avoid like the plague on the basis that EVERY one of those metric weights is off by almost 100% and if they cant get that right then it throws everything under suspicion.

2) phone them up and ask for clarification and possibly put the persons job in jeopardy who was responsible for the listing.

1 kilo = 2.20462lb and that would make the 0.35mm a whopping great 25lb breaking strain and not the 12lb listed.

i just dont believe it :lol:

• 1 year later...

I've used Nanofil for other species, mainly with lures, jigs in particular, sometimes with floats. Its a good line, long casting and very sensitive. However, it doesn't stand up to rocks very well, requires special knots, and is bad to get wrapped around the tip of the rod, which cost me a rod once when I was hopelessly snagged and trying to break the jig off, and didn't notice that the very limp nanofil had wrapped around the tip....:?

Furthermore, while many braids, as well as fused lines like fireline, sometimes break above their stated breaking strength, nanofil will break at exactly what it states....or less when you factor in knots.

Despite its flaws, its a good line, but maybe not the best line for carp fishing.