How Do You Approach A silty Venue

dannyash

Afternoon everyone, just getting a few bits and bobs ready for a fishing trip in the next couple of weeks at cuttle mill. I did a day session a few weeks ago which was my first time at the lake, no fish landed but had one take which in which i struck into nothing. Because of the silt i had dropped my lead size down to 1oz and fished a standard rig lead clip style, id normally use a substantial lead 3-4oz but id reduced the size to combat the silt. This got me thinking if id used a larger lead would this of set the hook more than the 1oz, i know that once the leads plugged into the silt it weighs more but i couldn't help but think this. 

Im just curious to what and how you guys tackle a silty venue???

personally i try to avoid a helicopter setup where possible, I'm thinking of reverting back to the rig i used at abbey lakes earlier on in the season fished over blanket weed, which was a stiff hinge rig around 10" long fished with a critically balanced hook bait and a soft coated braid, this was hooked into a pva mesh bag of rig foam to keep the rig bolt up right then allow it to settle down afterwards, I'm thinking this would allow the lead to bury into the silt and let the rig fall into position but still allowing the bait to be presented correctly. Any thoughts guys let me know, look forward to listening to your ideas.

Apologies for the long winded explanation for a relatively simple question  :wink:

Cheers, Dan.

Out of interest, why are you trying to avoid helicopter setup?

Other than that, long supple hooklink, multi rig with a popup, and as CM has said, foam the hook and give it a pull back. The weight of the lead won't make a difference. A smaller lead will plug easier as its smaller. A flat pear will help a bit, but if it's very deep silt you won't avoid that. Inline wouldn't be my choice. Heli or lead clip should be fine though.

Out of interest, why are you trying to avoid helicopter setup?

Other than that, long supple hooklink, multi rig with a popup, and as CM has said, foam the hook and give it a pull back. The weight of the lead won't make a difference. A smaller lead will plug easier as its smaller. A flat pear will help a bit, but if it's very deep silt you won't avoid that. Inline wouldn't be my choice. Heli or lead clip should be fine though.

Iv never really felt confident using the setup to be honest, maybe I'm stuck in my ways. I will be taking the lead choice onboard. 

For the majority of my fishing iv used the lead clip arrangement and changed the rig to suit the situation, maybe its time to give the helicopter a go? Fish that on one and my standard setup on the other and compare the results.

Dan

Try fishing a lead link.

Have the lead attached via a length of line to either a lead clip or a run ring.

The same standard rig, but fishing a lead link. The lead will sink into the silt, but the lighter hookbait closer to the surface of the silt.