Looking to change my spod set up

Morning.

I've always used braid on my spod set up , been on Berkley whiplash but I am fed up with getting terrible knots in it when reeling it back off the sticks .

So looking to ditch the braid for a mono & leader set up any recommendations for this set up ?

I use the large spomb & fish at long distance some times so needs to be able to handle the forces of a big chuck .

Cheers .

Morning.

I've always used braid on my spod set up , been on Berkley whiplash but I am fed up with getting terrible knots in it when reeling it back off the sticks .

So looking to ditch the braid for a mono & leader set up any recommendations for this set up ?

I use the large spomb & fish at long distance some times so needs to be able to handle the forces of a big chuck .

Cheers .

Like you I ditched braid on the spod rod, although not necessarily for the same reason.

I use the same mainline on the spod rod as I do on my fishing rods, currently Gardner Pro, but have used Daiwa Sensor in the past and both caused no problems chucking a Big Spomb a long way on the Aerlex and Big Bertha and her DD's.

The shockleader I use is usually 60lb Drennan Greased Weasel, from the sea fishing section, the grey is softer than the other fluorescent colours available.

Shockleader length is a minimum of your casting drop, plus at least 4 turns on the reel, and is connected to the mainline with a Uni knot. Tie an overhand loop in the shockleader, then put the mainline through the knot, and tie a uni knot back down the leader, and gradually pull both tight after lubricating. That shockleader will stay on the line all season, or until I need to change the line.

That is a reminder, my spod reel line needs changing  :!: