Layer pits

I can tell you how it used to fish, but it has evolved a bit.

It used to be very much a hemp orientated water, the more you used during the day, then the more fish you had.

Boilies only used to produce , but only a few, although some of the larger fish would fall to this tactic.

Hi Ginger 

I've been waiting for someone to reply to you , as I haven't fished there for 30 years plus so I can't give you any up to date info.

I don't know if there is anything on Youtube , but there was a Korda Roadshow there a few years ago .

I hope you find something .

:wink:  

Hi mate,

i am a current CAPS member with the layer upgrade and fish it quite regularly in the spring through to autumn. It can be a bit of a ball breaker at times especially when there are stacks of fish in front of you and whatever method you try, fails!

The lake is pretty even throughout, sloping off gradually with average depths of around 7 to 8 feet. The bottom is pretty silty and i often bring in bloodworm on the lead or hook.

They do love plenty of bait over there and once they get their noses down, they can certainly mop up the bait. Most guys tend to do the long chuck, spod plenty and use little baits to get the bites. Zigging also works well over there.

My pb of just under 35lb came out of there last year and i caught this close in, single boilie with a few scattered around. I think there are several different 30s in there and loads of 20s! The fish kill of a couple of years seems to have allowed the strong to flourish.

Favoured swims are the point, boathouse and some on matchmens and cottages. I tend to get down there around mid morning, see where there are less people fishing and look for signs of fish. They generally hang out in the middle, hence why the long chuck is sometimes needed, i prefer to fish the bays or the tennis court swims, this may mean that i may not get multiple catches, but i am out of the way of others and at certain times of the day i believe the larger fish come closer in, especially as evening progresses.

I guess you are referring to the opportunity to night fish it in May? I was tempted to enter the raffle but i cant justify the cost that is being asked to fish it for the night! My guess is that if you do fish it overnight, you aint going to get much sleep!!! 

If i was doing an overnighter on there, i would certainly have a bait close in and i would try and get away from the crowds.

hope that helps a bit?

Mike