Flurocarbon rig help

Addicted_Carper

Hi guys,

The water im fishing is very clear and although i have been catching using braided hooklinks i thought id try flurocarbon.

A couple of weeks back i tied up a d rig using fox illusion in 12lb and i got a take pretty quick but i lost the fish as the hooklink snapped at the knotless knot.

So i got some more fox illusion in 16lb and again i got a quick bite but lost the fish because the hooklink snapped at the knotless knot again.

Is there another way to tie the d rig without using a knotless knot?

When you tie the knotless knot come back down the barrel of the knot a few times before putting the tag back through the eye of the hook. This helps to stop the material from contracting during the fight and snapping and should hopefully solve your problem.

Also 12lb in a fluorocarbon isn't very strong and as its invisible anyway I would look at a higher/thicker breaking strain.

Oh are you using the Danny's version of the D rig (its a sliding d rig btw),  sounds to me like something is getting strangled at some point.  Il have a look at the knot diagrams in a bit and see if i can see where you maybe going wrong.  Out of interest what hooks are you using ?

I have had issues with mono and fluorocarbon links being worn through when using a knotless knot, curved shank hooks like Muggas, Fangs etc being the worst.

Here we go, I hate the word, but maybe look at a Chod style hook with an eye that pulls away from the shank, an out turned eye, as opposed to an inturned.

The alternative, but quite fiddly method is to knot the hook on, and then tie on a D section.

I know when Danny demo's he uses a Korda Kurv reasons being obvious.

Here we go, I hate the word, but maybe look at a Chod style hook with an eye that pulls away from the shank, an out turned eye, as opposed to an inturned.

Bet you would cause DF's back problem to twitch suggesting that for his rig  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

As I mentioned before i use the same material but use a conventional D Rig and haven't found any issues which is why I thought the knot was strangling somehow.

Nicely tied.

If it were I - I would be inclined to add another twist to make it a five turn, and include a wrap-around twist before entering the eye on exit to allow for bedding. (I'd also add shrink tube, but that is personal preference)

What I do notice, but it could be a play of the light in the photograph - the knotless doesn't appear to be pushed up tight to the eye. If this is the case - the knot, as is tied at present - may slip and twist.