Whelford Pools

It is a shame but can I just ask without sounding disrespectful, did he not spend a little bit of that money on some equipment that would tell him when the oxygen levels were getting low.

so many lakes spend all this money on stock but not enough to protect it.

Hiya Mufty,

I know he had an aerator - the chuffin thing made enough noise to wake up Elvis. :mrgreen:

That said, I don't know if it was the main lake, the syndicate lake or both.

1 thing I do know, though - if it wasn't for Andy saying what happened, I would still be believing what I was told on Friday by a bailiff of another water when I managed to flop 2 in for the first time this year.

From what I've been told it was a massive algae bloom and sudden atmospheric pressure change that did the deed,

We have the same on our club lake every year, after a big fish kill a few years back they now have 2 airiators running and have put barley straw in the margins.

Saying that though it might not have worked as the ea are bringing down 2 more airiators tonight as the oxygen levels are low.

I've always wondered if it is down to the lake having so much silt?

• 2 weeks later...

heya peeps, got an update for you direct from the horses mouth.

i managed to contact a good friend of mine who is also one of Gerry's most regular guests, he told me that the fish were dying as early as February so i think that rules out the algae and oxy crash (unless we had some unseasonably hot weather).

he says he had a chat with Gerry on Sunday and the outcome was that the main and the syndie lake were wiped out with suspected KHV.

to put it in his own words, the fishery is well and truly stuffed (my word lol) not a carp left in the lakes including speccy pool.

asked what he has planned Gerry replied "cant afford to restock pools back to original levels and the EA have given no guarantees that it wont repeat next year" so in conclusion he is having a serious think about the future of the pools as an angling venue.

looks like the rumor of a couple of years ago R.E. holiday homes and lakeside chalets may be rolling on.

• 3 weeks later...