Hooklink Material!

nickolaus15

hi! whats everybodies favourate hooklink material when using a standard bottom bait? post if you would....thankyou!

I have found that a sinkink braid of 8-10lb fished with a bolt rig has been doing the do an the heavaley fished lakes that i get to (thirsk north yorks)when others blank

Supple braid = Richworth 1st contact sorcerer (my all time favourite), extremely supple, camo, takes on water and sinks very well. The dogs.....

Coated braid = Suffix Heavy Skin (green or brown), again sinks well, good coating, good to work with.

Florocarbon, Korda IQ 25lb - very stiff, steams straight - great for combis, acts like an anti tangle boom.

Krystonite line - just good stuff, strong, supple and clear.

Supple braid = Richworth 1st contact sorcerer (my all time favourite), extremely supple, camo, takes on water and sinks very well. The dogs.....

Coated braid = Suffix Heavy Skin (green or brown), again sinks well, good coating, good to work with.

Florocarbon, Korda IQ 25lb - very stiff, steams straight - great for combis, acts like an anti tangle boom.

Krystonite line - just good stuff, strong, supple and clear.

The man knoes his stuff, have u found owt that would suit fishing pop up in the upper layers, say about 6 to 8ft?

Got all of these in the Tackle Box for different situations:

Kryston Super Mantis, Mantis Gold, Supersilk, SuperNova, Merlin, Carp-R-Us Clearwater fluorocarbon, Amnesia 15 and 30lb White, Drennan Fly Leader in 12lb and Big Fish Adventure Deception in Silt Colour (now marketed by Wychwood?)

Its strange though, nearly all my Bottom Bait rigs get tied up with Mantis (either version), Supernova or Merlin.

The Amnesia is there for Combi and Stiff Rigs and the 30lb for Shock Leaders.

The Clearwater is very rarely used except for Zigs and the Fly Leader for Surface Fishing.

The BFA Deception I do use when it matches the bottom better than the Kryston (not often)

Got all of these in the Tackle Box for different situations:

Kryston Super Mantis, Mantis Gold, Supersilk, SuperNova, Merlin, Carp-R-Us Clearwater fluorocarbon, Amnesia 15 and 30lb White, Drennan Fly Leader in 12lb and Big Fish Adventure Deception in Silt Colour (now marketed by Wychwood?)

My tackle box now feels that it's lacking now. You've given it an inadequacy complex. :lol:

Got all of these in the Tackle Box for different situations

:shock: go on matt heyes :wink: makes my kit look like a starter kit from Argos. have you ever side hooked bolies? as have been thinking about it but don't no any one who has give it a go. i have come up with a way that alows the bolie to move clear from hook with ease but is firm enough to withstand the cast. Just thinking that fish as they age they wise up to straight hook baits of corn and the like, as well as hair rigd ones. but doubt that many have come across a sided hooked bolie, or do you no of good reason for this? and could it be a moment of maddnes on my part?

Got all of these in the Tackle Box for different situations

:shock: go on matt heyes :wink: makes my kit look like a starter kit from Argos. have you ever side hooked bolies? as have been thinking about it but don't no any one who has give it a go. i have come up with a way that alows the bolie to move clear from hook with ease but is firm enough to withstand the cast. Just thinking that fish as they age they wise up to straight hook baits of corn and the like, as well as hair rigd ones. but doubt that many have come across a sided hooked bolie, or do you no of good reason for this? and could it be a moment of maddnes on my part?

If a water has not been fished before then the hair is not a requirement. Its only when Side or Eye Hooking gets blown/the Carp get wary of them, that we need to go to the Hair Rig.

Its also a Point of ease to mount a bait on the Hair rather than Side Hooking.

Even on many waters that have been fished with the hair then Soft Baits like Luncheon Meat, Sweetcorn and the like, can still work with Side Mounting.

Saying that though, the way that many fish with the Bait tight to the Shank on short hairs then the hooking arrangement is almost identical to Shank/Side mounting.

If you really want to go into that though have a look at "my" Complicated Rigs thread in the Advanced Section of the Forum. Its long winded, headache inducing, but covers loads of information, experiments and ideas.

The thing I would suggest is to get used to a couple of hooklink materials, 1 braid (coated or uncoated), 1 mono, 1 Fluorocarbon and get them to work for you. It may mean being different from other anglers on the waters you are fishing.

As for advice on 3 lakes I would recommend having a look in UK Where to Fish or Finding a Carp Water, if there is nothing available ask in there

(1 post in one or the other not both :wink::lol: )

Have had a look and found a short list of the best pegs but none forthcomeing with tactics, im going to knock a couple of ready tied hook link with the material that you have recomended, and a few combinations, as for being diffrent, im not shy in forth coming with some mad contraption :P

The man knoes his stuff, have u found owt that would suit fishing pop up in the upper layers, say about 6 to 8ft?

Sorry mate just seen your question - I'd go for a clear mono or florocarbon like Krystonite, though I used to use Maxima Camelian which isnt clear but changes from redish to green according to the colour of the water. I'd use that stuff again, no hesitation.

With Krystonite you need to use the palomar knot :wink:

Courtz uses Preston Power line I think?

• 3 weeks later...
Stick to some of the Basic Rigs on here:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

and you won't go far wrong I reckon :wink:

Have had some chew with P.C.

WEll we got up to the 3lakes in selby, what a place, we walked around and had a chat with a few lads there who had plenty of advise and tips but left us feeling negative about our chances as they had all the top kit and made us look like school boys. People had been there 3 days and had done little better than land a few bream! We set up, and had a lead about and got a rough lay out of the peg an decided to use our own tactics other than those recomended by the regulars. with in 3 hours i had landed 6 bream all in the 8 to 12lb range. this gave us a right lift so we went up to bigger bate to sway the bream. we never hooked any of the carp untill 4.30 in the morning but got loads of alarm beeps but faild to make the hook hold.(while all around was silent) The fish that we got in was worth the wet,cold, an frustration as a 32ib mirror was the prize.

from that visit we no we could have done better as it need a few days to get the feed going right. it just goes to show that its not what you have got but what you do with it, and the value of learning from others cheers mate. :D