FAIRVEIW LAKE Yorkshire ( cold weather methods)

Obviously every lake is different but I have good suscess using a lot of maggots on a spot 6/8 pints together with a 500ml bottle of flavouring , I use cell , rig wise I use a 6" mono basic hair rig with a big ball of maggots (40/50) sewn on using a needle and cotton . This has caught me some decent fish when many other people using small bags of maggots have blanked

Cheers I may give the hemp a mid this time mate due to the weather I'll consider this in future session and yeah I'll give that maggot rig a try do you use a small rig ring on the hair or ish it chod style because I was planning on using the chod rig with fake maggots and maggots soaked in a fizzy drink so they float do you thinkt that would work

John, 6 to 8 pints seems really brave / alot of bait but I'm intrigued as I really like fishing maggots. Is that for a longish session, would you use for a short day session? Are you banking on alot of those maggots vanishing thanks to small fish and burrowing into the soil too?

Cm, but of course. That's why I was asking for a little more background info on why and when it works for him. I've heard the dead maggots trick before, seems like a sound idea. Wonder how long it takes a pint of live maggots to bury themselves? If that's even what they'll do...?

never tried this in the winter, but had some success with surface fishing using the following method, use a maggot ring loaded and add a piece of Zig foam and pop up your bait two inches, let me know how you get on.

You've used a popped up Maggot rig whilst surface fishing ?

Confused.com :)

John, 6 to 8 pints seems really brave / alot of bait but I'm intrigued as I really like fishing maggots. Is that for a longish session, would you use for a short day session? Are you banking on alot of those maggots vanishing thanks to small fish and burrowing into the soil too?

For a 48 hr session the two of us will take 3 gallons and I have gone out for more , the lake only allows maggots to be used November to February and for a few winters we would fish with bags ( obviously using a lot less) but never caught a fish then two years ago I got a boat and after reading up a bit a few people had suggested a reasonable quantity of maggots going in to a lake can turn them onto them . So we put out a big bed and fished a rod each on the spot and caught a few , the flavouring was just an idea to give them something to taste in the water at night , as it happen all the fish came in darkness up to 31 lb

For what it's worth I only use live ones and I don't believe they go far in the colder water , I have used big bags of maggots on another lake we fish and not caught ( no boats)

My take on it is , on that lake the big pile of maggots turns them on to realy getting their heads down , for two years we have caught fish when most of the others on the lake have blanked don't get me wrong many other fish get caught through the winter but few seem to catch multiple fish , hopefully in two weeks we will get to try it again .

Sadly the only way to see if it works on your lake is to bite the bullet and go for it but if your fishing bags and not catching all you have to loose is the cost of the maggots

• 3 weeks later...