Marsworth Reservoir 

Reedy11

Hi all, I've recently heard about Tring reservoirs and have been doing a little research. I'm interested in the slightly easier water Marsworth Reservoir but wondered if any of you have fished there before and if you have any advise?

I know it's a cold time of year so fishing such a large venue might not be such a good idea but if anyone does regularly fish there I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thanks,

Jason.

Hi mate I'm mainly targeting carp but would love to catch a cat. I got told in a fishing shop that "you have more chance of freezing over hell than catching a cat this time of year" which put me off a bit.

I'm definitely going to look in to fishing the canal, I have so much gear though is there much space along the canal?

Sounds good thanks a lot ill definitely check out Leighton AC, only one I've looked at so far is luton AC but didn't hear all good things about it. I think I'll take your advice and g for the canal, maybe try for cats if not definitely go there March onwards.

Thanks a lot for your tips mate

This time of the year wouldn't expect too many people on the towpath, it is quite narrow in places, try to target the boats, the fish sit underneath them, as for cats, still not that cold, Wilstone is a better bet. If you want cats, Leighton Buzzard A.C., fantastic ticket, 3 good waters, all for about 40 quid, plus some of that tasty canal.

if Leighton Buzzard wad a bit closer to me I'd join up , for the sake of 40 notes I might just do it anyway

Reedy , Crow Green fishery in Brentwood produces Cats during the winter especially when its not THAT cold like recently .

BIG cats as well , some of the Biggest in the uk . around the 90-100lb mark .

oh and Carp to 40ish... :wink:

Thanks guys, carpmachine im definitely going to try those lakes, I've night fished along before but only well fished busy lakes like manor farm and stanwick. I'd love to get a Wells catfish which I know they have!

Hey Newmarket, just researched crow green and it looks great I've asked them if they will allow me to fish a night as they only allow regular fisherman to do so, I noticed they have up to 90 lb cats! May need stronger tackle, my rods are only 2.5lb

Thanks guys, carpmachine im definitely going to try those lakes, I've night fished along before but only well fished busy lakes like manor farm and stanwick. I'd love to get a Wells catfish which I know they have!

Hey Newmarket, just researched crow green and it looks great I've asked them if they will allow me to fish a night as they only allow regular fisherman to do so, I noticed they have up to 90 lb cats! May need stronger tackle, my rods are only 2.5lb

i hope you get a reply mate .

i emailed them 2 years ago enquiring about something and im still waiting for a reply  :P

i used to fish there a lot mate and they are not that strict on the night fishing thing .especially this time of year , its just to try and keep the noddys away.

if you turn up and fish you'll be ok i expect .

i'm hoping to get over there in the spring for a spot of Grassie hunting ....

All good places to fish! Don't even dip a fishmeal pellet in the canal though, unless you like bream.... :)

Milton Keynes and Luton AC control loads of canal sections, but don't forget nearly all of it can be fished on a day ticket, assuming someone comes to collect the £5

All good places to fish! Don't even dip a fishmeal pellet in the canal though, unless you like bream.... :)

Milton Keynes and Luton AC control loads of canal sections, but don't forget nearly all of it can be fished on a day ticket, assuming someone comes to collect the £5

i noticed the same thing when i used to fish the river stort . could fish there every day for a month and not see another fisherman let alone a bailiff  :P

Hi mate I'm mainly targeting carp but would love to catch a cat. I got told in a fishing shop that "you have more chance of freezing over hell than catching a cat this time of year" which put me off a bit.

I'm definitely going to look in to fishing the canal, I have so much gear though is there much space along the canal?

Reedy I'll have a word with a friend who fishes for cats. I know quite often he heads up mk way but unsure if that's for Carp. I know the waters he fishes tend to have both as the peeson he goes with fishes for Carp. He'll probably say you're better waiting til it's warmer.

if you're fishing a canal I'd think you need to be mobile unless you're pre-baiting so try to cut everything right back and just take what you need and keep moving every few hours. I'm going to be fishing some canals this year. If they're club stretches I've found quite often you can gain a lot by reading the match reports.

I'll give you a shout in the new year when it's warmer if you fancy going out on another session somewhere?

Hey Androo, how was your fishing trip? Okay sounds good I'd like to give it a go I know you need something more like halibut pellets for cats rather than boilies but also heard they do sometimes go for carp bait. Suppose it depends on the water your fishing. Let me know what your mate says though. I'm happy to go for carp anyway and a cat would just be a good bonus.

I'm definitely up for a session next year March onwards ill properly start up again

Edited by Reedy11

It was a holiday and I hoped to get some fishing in but didn't in the end. It was too expensive and we were uo against it time wise with all the other tours we booked. I didn't even get to dive which is the first time in about 6 years I haven't.

I'll ask him for some venue ideas on cats around your area. He may even fish the same pools as you mention. I never pay too much attention as I don't like cats.

Cool I'll probably be doing the same. Going to do some plumbing on a local lake soon and start pre-baiting a couple of spots in the hope it pays off.

Hey Androo, how was your fishing trip? Okay sounds good I'd like to give it a go I know you need something more like halibut pellets for cats rather than boilies but also heard they do sometimes go for carp bait. Suppose it depends on the water your fishing. Let me know what your mate says though. I'm happy to go for carp anyway and a cat would just be a good bonus.

I'm definitely up for a session next year March onwards ill properly start up again

Afternoon Reedy just a quickie to say that i was with my nephew fishing for Carp at the aforementioned Crow Green when he caught 2 50lb+ Catfish on the same pineapple pop up :)

There used to be an old rowing boat tied up to the far margin and he had a pineapple pop up next to the boat for the best part of 2 days .

As we were considering packing up his rod rattled off and produced the first Cat , which ran him up and down the lake for half an hour.

Once we had landed & weighed it we decided to give it another 20 mins and he is so lazy he left the same boilie on his rig and slung it out to the same spot .

Rig hadnt been out there for 5 minutes when the second Cat took the bait .

We dont really know how much they weighed because his scales only went up to 50lb :) :)

And THAT was about 5 or 6 years ago :wink:

They are not my favourite fish either, but I do think old Reedy could end up with a snapped rod, if he don't up the Anti, most of the cats I have caught have been by accident, and when I have targeted them you invariably blank, spread bet, go for the carp and take anything that comes.

Wise advice indeed though i will say that re the little story i posted above , he was using an old Shimmy Catana 2.5 tc , i think , paired with a very small looking ( to me ) Daiwa Regal .

Was hard work but managed the job ok.

Broke three of those in one season on carp, stopping them diving into snags, amazed he landed big cats on such a bad rod.

Im not certain of the model tbh just remember it being a shimano . Black with some red in it here and there i think , 2.5 for sure though .

Good Angler mind you .

Edited by newmarket

most of the Catana range were 2.25, the ones I had were and they all snapped in the same place, just under the top ferrule, I think they should stick to making reels. I wouldn't go near catfish with my beloved Armalites of the same TC, spod rod job only, unfortunately they do turn up from time to time, incidentally I aint fond of grass carp either.

Why the dislike of the Grassies mate ? Just curious really , the 15lber i caught was thrilling :)

I probally would end up with broken rods going for big cats,I only have 2.5 tc maver abyss rods, ill only be going for carp but would love to get one on the bank. I know they are realy slimy and good fighters but it's all part of the sport.

I'm planning to go on a fishing trip to France next year so will be getting 3 lb rods for that anyway so they would be better for the larger lakes with cats in