Fishing in heavy weed

Ginger9991

Looking for insperation as to what rigs people use at weedy lakes, I made a sort of bodge job heli rig when i tried last week (i blanked) although i did get several runs from birds so the bait must have been presented well. Just wonder what others use and how they present thier bait pics would be good if people have them. :)

I have been tackling this issue after being used to cloudy waters with little weed and starting up on a gin clear pit that is full of all types of weed.

My tactics thus far have been chod rigs and helicopter setups with the lead tied on with a light mono so it will drop if the fish becomes weeded up. Although when it comes to the actual rig to fish on a helicopter setup I have just been using my normal lead clip rigs (Slip-d and blow back rigs on coated braid and d rigs on fluro). One thing I have found is that using soma pva nuggets you can help prevent the rig wrapping around the leader by attaching on to the hook and on just above the link, this helps push the rig out away from the leader and should help prevent tangles on the cast.

Are there any great rigs, bar the chod, for fishing on a helicopter setup?

Also going to look to try some solid bags soon to try fishing under the weed rather than on it.

I have been tackling this issue after being used to cloudy waters with little weed and starting up on a gin clear pit that is full of all types of weed.

My tactics thus far have been chod rigs and helicopter setups with the lead tied on with a light mono so it will drop if the fish becomes weeded up. Although when it comes to the actual rig to fish on a helicopter setup I have just been using my normal lead clip rigs (Slip-d and blow back rigs on coated braid and d rigs on fluro). One thing I have found is that using soma pva nuggets you can help prevent the rig wrapping around the leader by attaching on to the hook and on just above the link, this helps push the rig out away from the leader and should help prevent tangles on the cast.

Are there any great rigs, bar the chod, for fishing on a helicopter setup?

Also going to look to try some solid bags soon to try fishing under the weed rather than on it.

Jon , how was your hooklenngth wrapping around the leader ?

The very nature of the helicopter set up ( also known as the rotary ) dictates that it canNot happen ie its rotary ?

In my experience the only rigs ( apart from the choddy ) used on heli set ups are basic bottom bait rigs ?

I have of course set myself up to be shot down in flames having said that :)

i did get several runs from birds so the bait must have been presented well.

Beg to differ, but I would say your rig is not presented well unless you are fishing for birds :oops:

Don't mean any offence by that ginge.

https://forum.carp.com/topic/13598-waterfowl/?hl=%2Bproblems+%2Bwith+%2Bbirds#entry151724 may help as well as NM's link above.

Jon , how was your hooklenngth wrapping around the leader ?

The very nature of the helicopter set up ( also known as the rotary ) dictates that it canNot happen ie its rotary ?

In my experience the only rigs ( apart from the choddy ) used on heli set ups are basic bottom bait rigs ?

I have of course set myself up to be shot down in flames having said that :)

I am not sure I understand maybe I have got the setup wrong but if you hold the rod up and dangle the rig underneath the rig will spin round the leader but eventually it will slow and start coiling itself around the leader. Still a couple of foam nuggets have stopped this for me. Although your making me think I have the setup wrong?

I am not sure I understand maybe I have got the setup wrong but if you hold the rod up and dangle the rig underneath the rig will spin round the leader but eventually it will slow and start coiling itself around the leader. Still a couple of foam nuggets have stopped this for me. Although your making me think I have the setup wrong?

Yeh mate sounds wrong to me . Only thing i can think of is your hooklnk is too long .

Let me have a look for a pic :wink:

It might be the way I attach the rig to the leader, basically a large rig ring attached to a swivel (same as chod) then a rig clip to the other end. I cover these with silicone but still wraps up without foam.

Although it could just be my presentation paranoia kicking in and it's actually fine

It might be the way I attach the rig to the leader, basically a large rig ring attached to a swivel (same as chod) then a rig clip to the other end. I cover these with silicone but still wraps up without foam.

Although it could just be my presentation paranoia kicking in and it's actually fine

Dont suppose you have a piccie ?

out of curiosity of course cos people do use the helicopter set up even when they dont really need to , purely for its anti-tangle properties ?

Using foam on the hook will help to eliminate tangles on the cast. The air resistance will in effect keep a distance between hookbait and leader. Tethering the cast and clipping up will also help. Foam due to its buoyancy wil suspend your hook length off the bottom for a short period, so beware if using a supple hooklength because it may just fold down on itself. There are numerous variables that affect this, it is very important to ensure you have a full understanding of how your end tackle behaves upon contact with the surface of the water and to how it lies immediately after it decends on to the lake bed. I've only scratched the surface here and I'm sort of digressing from the original question.