Carp lakes Bedfordshire

Hey guys,

I'm looking to try a new lake next week, I regulary fish Manor Farm in Biggleswade and I'm interested to try somewhere new.

I'm looking for a day ticket lake with a chance of catching the larger carp, I'm hoping for a decent venue stocked over 30lbs.

I have heard about Henlow Bridge Lakes which looks nice but I can't find any reviews if anyone has fished there before?

I look forward to some advice.

Jason

Reedy I've never fished chestnut pools but I've looked at it a few times to take a friend as he only gets out twice a year and want a few runs, it's a runs water and you'll probably catch multiple fish. There's quite a good write up by simon crow. http://simoncrowcarpfishing.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/chestnut-pool-hertfordshire.html?m=1

As you've said on another thread you've been carp fishing about a year using the method feeder. I'd think you'd have some great sport and get some confidence that your rig is working and hooking fish. Then when your on a harder water you have less to worry about as you'll know it works.

Runs waters when your learning can be a great confidence boost and let you test new rigs, casting, new tactics and make improvements.

If you do go, do say how you get on. I may go with my friend some time, it's just that no alcohol rule that puts me off.

Thanks for your reply Androo, I've seen some larger fish pics on that lake, I'm hoping above 10 lb, I saw it is stocked with smaller carp but fingers crossed! I am getting better and your right the method feeder is more for smaller fish but I've caught quite well the last 2 times by putting in bait around it, I'm also trying out pva solid bags which landed 2 10 lb bream :) they're not carp but I'm getting there. That one in my display pic was on a feeder :)

I do think I'm going to try chestnut pools midweek so check back around Friday and ill let you know how I get on :)

No worries and that would be great. I never said anything about size. Method feeders can produce big carp. I think the fish there probably associste a splash with food. So regularly recasting will work.

I'm sure most things I've read say margins for the better fish.

Chestnut is great although I found that method fishing there was a great way to catch a load of bream! Meat or boilies in the margins were better.

Best of all was one amazing, stinking hot day last summer when freelined bread crust and dog biscuits on the surface meant a whole afternoon of heart-in-your-mouth fun. So if the hot weather holds, take some floating stuff.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to try a new lake next week, I regulary fish Manor Farm in Biggleswade and I'm interested to try somewhere new.

I'm looking for a day ticket lake with a chance of catching the larger carp, I'm hoping for a decent venue stocked over 30lbs.

I have heard about Henlow Bridge Lakes which looks nice but I can't find any reviews if anyone has fished there before?

I look forward to some advice.

Jason

Ello, Chestnut is a good fun runs water.  Its well run and tidy.  If you fish weekends, get there for 7am when the gates open as it can get busy very quickly! Also, the Nash roadshow will be there at the weekend so it'll be even busier.

Ive never fished Henlow Bridge so I cant comment.

Have you thought about joining a club?  MK has a lot of water, many of which can also be fished for a cheap dayticket.  Along with Luton Ac and Vauxhall Ac.  All good value for the price of a few daytickets and bait.  Feel free to PM for links or bash them into Google.

Just a thought, where are you based?

Phil

Sounds good, I'll be fishing mid-week anyway so that should be fine.

I have thought about that, I'm jsut worried about limiting myself to those waters only if I pay to join a club. I have no idea which one I should join either. I'm based in Luton so maybe Luton AC?

Jason

I'm also in Luton (Bushmead), dont worry about limiting yourself.  The clubs I mentioned all have lots of water to have a go at.

I'm sending you a pm with a few links as Im not sure if linking is allowed.

Phil

Just a quick update guys, I've just got back from a days fishing at Chestnut Pools, it was a very hot day and it was a lovely lake. I managed to bank 15 fish too, 4 bream and 11 carp! Mostly just over 10 lb biggest was 13.5lb but they looked a lot bigger. I'll upload some pics soon

Jason

Well done mate....sounds like a bumper session and you had some lovely weather.

Did you go with the method, pva bags or something completely new? Great to see whatever it was, was working.

I'm off out Saturday to a local club water and then next week 72 hours at Stanwick on swan pool which is their runs water as taking my brother for the first time. I'll try to get pics from both.

I don't think Stanwick fisheries is too far from you. So might be one you'd like to fish sometime.

Thanks mate! I started off with the method on one rod and solid PVA bags on the other, casting out to the gap inbetween the islands. I was catapulting balls of method mix and then boilies over the spots.

Later in the session I wandered down to the corner searching for the larger fish and put about 100 boilies under a overhanging willow tree, came back an hour or so later and put the rods in, just with weights and GLM boilies.

The biggest I caught was a 13.5 lb but it lookd much larger I'll post the pics below :)

Great let me know how you get on at Stanwick I'll check it out online and see how far away it is.

Jason