anti tangle or lots of tangle?

luke_bristol

What do you think of the setup on this running KD rig?

The rig is connected via an ACE quick change clip covered in an anti tangle sleeve; this quick change clip sits inside a Korda safe zone running rig stem

Would the rigidity from the bottom of the leader across this join to the top of the rig help or hinder the anti tangle properties of the rig?

9y9HxPil.jpg

Compare and contrast with the obvious "hinge" at the same point in this rig:

oOi0Ocal.jpg

Is that a supple hook length or coated ? 

Do you use a pva stick to mask the hook.

Feeling the lead down on a tight line should help the rig kick away (but how do we really know whats happened)

My only issue is if that rig lands on anything soft and plugs, then the longer AT sleeve may be sticking up, potentially spooking fish away.

The rig is connected via an ACE quick change clip covered in an anti tangle sleeve; this quick change clip sits inside a Korda safe zone running rig stem

Would the rigidity from the bottom of the leader across this join to the top of the rig help or hinder the anti tangle properties of the rig?

9y9HxPil.jpg

oOi0Ocal.jpg

If you want fully anti tangle mate, ditch the anti tangle sleeve and the massive blob of putty and slide a pva bag down the hooklink with the hook embedded in it, use a wafter instead of a pop up, and while you're at it ditch that horrible curve shank hook because they cause mouth damage :)

9y9HxPil.jpg

oOi0Ocal.jpg

I like that top rig, although please make sure that the lead swivel will pass over the leader knot :wink:

Maybe use a larger run ring?

You may find that you don't need the tubing so long coming down the hooklink. 

Also if you use a coated braid with a section stripped back from the hook, the stiffness near the hooklink mainline/leader join will help prevent tangles to some extent as well

If you want fully anti tangle mate, ditch the anti tangle sleeve and the massive blob of putty and slide a pva bag down the hooklink with the hook embedded in it, use a wafter instead of a pop up, and while you're at it ditch that horrible curve shank hook because they cause mouth damage :)

Really ? I have difficulties understanding rig mechanics to be honest but i've never had problems with curve shanks ( except the blunt korda ones ) . Imo longshanks are iffyer .

I like that top rig, although please make sure that the lead swivel will pass over the leader knot :wink:

Maybe use a larger run ring?

You may find that you don't need the tubing so long coming down the hooklink.

Also , find myself agreeing with nick re the run ring , and gardner do some shorter , more narrow anti tangle sleeves which would be a bit neater .

In any case , theo's pva bag will sort out any tangling issues as will a good quality pva nugget on the hookshank

thanks for your views guys

the top rig is mine, and is uncoated suffix silt braid; it's not obvious from the picture, but the eye of the swivel on the leader is "oversized" and passes (very) freely over the leader knot

Still you would be better off with a proper snag safe bore ring/link than just a swivel hanging on the line. Like I said Enterprise do good ones. Also you would probably like the Angletec system. It is very clever, I bought a whole load of them. I don't use em as I prefer helicopter rigs at the moment, but will I'm sure switch one day: http://www.angletec.co.uk/dynamic-lead-system.html