Custom built rods - Tony Kay

Guest single_bleep

Guest single_bleep

Hi all,

Has anyone had their rods built by Tony Kay, I'm looking into getting a small water set up and have been getting quotes from numerous rod builders - Tony seems to be the most reasonable on price so far but I've not spoken to anyone who has had a set built by him.

Any feed back would be great and if possible some pics??

Cheers,

Jules

Hi mate , I just googled him and found the website , but there are no prices on there . What sort of money are we talking ? unless he's allot cheaper personally I would go with cotswold rods . where are you based ? you can have a day down at cotswold rods trying blanks out and then they will make them to your spec taking in to consideration your height and build etc and what you need them for so you end up with a rod built just for you and your needs .

Guest single_bleep

He works out pretty reasonable on price.

To be honest I may go with Cotswold, I've had a set built by them about 6 months for my long range set up. Beautifully built rods and got them at an awesome price, however; their customer service is not the best. I put another 3 guys their way for the same set of rods. One lad got his fine in 4 weeks (mine took 9 weeks) another lad took him 11 weeks and has had to send them back for numerous reasons and they are still not right 5 months later. And another guy waited 9 weeks when he was told 7 and when he called up they still hadn't ordered the blanks so he has been offered a full refund of the deposit which they still haven't paid back 3 weeks later.

All that aside, out of all the custom rods I've ever seen they are the best build when they get it all right, usually the problem is the lack of communication between the builder and the person taking the order, I was lucky enough to see mine being built in stages as I could drop in fairly regularly to the builder.

In saying this I have sent them a message and left a voicemail about another set for me and they haven't got back to me now! Lol

• 5 years later...

Had three pike rods built by Tony Kay, Cons, frankly had to wait a Very long time!, build time was given as eight to ten weeks, waited eight months!!, communication was erratic, a number of delay explanations? given and the order instructions were  not fully fulfilled, a substantial deposit was paid immediately on order taken......Pro's build quality was good, Sent in proper rod safe packaging........But would never use again.

I have had 2 sets of rods built by Kev Clayton & his work & communications are superb.  He is a top bloke, works to agreed timescales & I found competitive on price. The work I have seen from Tony was 1st class but as I wanted Harrisons it was logical to use the guy who was the firms top builder.

On 25/02/2014 at 06:59, Guest single_bleep said:

Hi all,

Has anyone had their rods built by Tony Kay, I'm looking into getting a small water set up and have been getting quotes from numerous rod builders - Tony seems to be the most reasonable on price so far but I've not spoken to anyone who has had a set built by him.

Any feed back would be great and if possible some pics??

Cheers,

Jules

Hi All...

Screenshot_20190613-155317_Chrome.thumb.jpg.879919e64cd09e155d7abb520e644708.jpg

Ive not had rods built but rods repaired...he is a nice guy...

My repair was quoted 2 weeks but was about 5 (no repirs now unless bought from him) 

Lad at work has about 3 sets off him...uk set..french set and a stalking set.

What he does is he used to get repairs from Leigh Angling but he got that many he couldn't keep up with his own rod building...dont think he repairs any other rods apart from his own builds...

ive had rods off tony a few years back now build quality was great he is good at what he does but as others have said you might have to wait a month or two phone him his number is on his website but if you can wait the time he quotes in my opinion its worth waiting top quality build