wylands battle east sussex

• 2 weeks later...

I used to fish wylands regularly, I hold the main lake record, (well did anyway!) I caught it under the rod tips using richworth banana ester readymades. I fished Kell lake Mainly, fishing singe hook baits in the near margins about 1/4-1/2 a rod length out, choosing to instal myself in a swim about 1-2 swims down from my chosen spot so i'm not fishing right over my baited area. Any decent frozen boilie will do, I used premier aminos base with blue cheese flavour, which you could buy from AR tackle in Hastings. Keep the noise down as the carp get right into the edge and will spook easily. I found that simple rigs with a good quality bait score well. I would often fish down the furthest end of the lake the widest end, right to the trees on the no fishing bank, or along the tree bank from the no fishing end to the large oak. Don't over feed, PVA bags and pellets never worked for me, just a single hook bait with half a dozen whole and broken boilies scattered around the lead by hand, in the near margins. Backleading is a good idea. I averaged at least one double a trip from the kell, my average session lasting about 24hours. I've fished most lakes on the complex, but mainly house lake, main lake, where I had the 26lb+ lake record, (then) and my favourite lake, kell lake. much trickier than the other lakes but far prettier and rewarding. Especially if like me, you love quiet under the rod tips fishing. Most of my takes late at night or early hours. PM me if you like mate

:roll:

ahh what a relief to have a reply to this, i was begining to think no one could help so thanks. I'm really glad you said margin fishing too because i love to margin fish as my casting isnt fabulous. Could you tell me is that the same for the rest of the big fish waters? and when you said about simple rigs would a straight hair rig with braid work? also what are the make up of the lakes the bottom is it silty? thanks

If you fancy fishing my local club water for a "break" while you are down that way let me know. It's just round the corner from Wylands, only about 2 acres in size and not massive fish, I think the biggest Carp run to mid twenties, but it is a lovely looking, natural water and very quiet as it's quite a way from any main roads.

A nice head of decent sized Tench in there too, (if you are that way inclined), and apparently some decent crucians, although I have never caught one.

No night fishing but you are allowed to fish from 4am until dark so not too bad a session.

Has a couple of nice bays, and the far one is quite shallow, lots of carp go cruising in there so an ideal spot for a bit of stalking/surface fishing.

I'd be up for a mid-week session (normally take Wednesdays off work) so if you are interested let me know.

Rob

What club is that Smufter?

I moved down here last Sept and am still looking for waters to fish.

http://hastingsandbexhillangling.co.uk/

The lake I prefer fishing is "Normanhurst"....

I've thought about joining Cranbrook AC but their waters are just a little bit too far for me to travel to regularly.

There are a few other places to fish around here, Falkenvil in Hailsham isn't too bad, and you have got Moor Hall pools in Ninfield which have some reasonable fish in them and are pretty good if you are looking for more of a "runs" water.

If you fancy fishing my local club water for a "break" while you are down that way let me know. It's just round the corner from Wylands, only about 2 acres in size and not massive fish, I think the biggest Carp run to mid twenties, but it is a lovely looking, natural water and very quiet as it's quite a way from any main roads.

A nice head of decent sized Tench in there too, (if you are that way inclined), and apparently some decent crucians, although I have never caught one.

No night fishing but you are allowed to fish from 4am until dark so not too bad a session.

Has a couple of nice bays, and the far one is quite shallow, lots of carp go cruising in there so an ideal spot for a bit of stalking/surface fishing.

I'd be up for a mid-week session (normally take Wednesdays off work) so if you are interested let me know.

Rob

Thanks smufter but I'm low on cash so will just be sticking to wylands where it will cost me no extra

• 11 months later...

How is wylands now? I used to fish the kell lake all the time and hold (or held at least!) the main lake record common of over 26lb. 7ysepany.jpg

Some from kell.

ha7a4ase.jpga4e3uzem.jpg

Keith the baillif still there?

I was a member of hastings and bexhill club, fished a lot on buckshole as well in the late 90's early 00's had a few out too.

8ymyvaru.jpgpa7e6y9e.jpgha7eqaby.jpguhaduby6.jpg

Always look back at buckshole with some affection. :D

:rolleyes: