Rig lengths

kamzter

What is your rig lengths?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is your rig lengths?

• Long
    • Average
    • Short

Could not see anything on rig lengths so wondered what length are your rigs guys, short, average or long?

And are you happy with your success rate?

I voted average as normally find i cant go wrong with that. 8):lol:

Any lads or lassies that just browse and dont leave posts please feel free to vote anyway as i have money riding on this !!!

Depends on the method im fishing, what bottom im fishing over, how the fish are feeding ect ect so i cant answer because i use all 3 for different situations. :wink:

same, i'll say average so i can see the results but short could mean 2 inches to one person and 5 to another.. it will be interesting to see other peoples views though.

The average length of a Carp rig at the moment is between 6 and 9inches long.

I try to be different from the Norm, but think that short hooklinks work better over plenty of Bait. So the majority of my Hooklinks tend to be 20cms or Longer.

Also when the Majority of Anglers seem to be fishing Mono/Fluorocarbon Hooklinks I try to be different fishing Braided or Coated Braid hooklinks.

Carp hitting the weight quicker with a Short Hooklink could also be responsible for more Hookpulls. Because the Lead has come into play and the Carp is just mooching over little bait (unbaited areas, just a PVA Bag), it may not be feeding confidently. Lengthen or make the Hooklink more supple may give the Carp more confidence to take the Bait back further and so give a better hookhold.

I know that most Articles with PVA Bags and the Method and the rigs seem to be short. Maybe changing this could improve results.

Also say the Carp has become used to pulling a Bait for 15cms (because it has become so used to being hooked this way), then to fish with a 30cm hooklink may totally confuse it. The pull does not arrive so the Carp moves further and what had been a Couple of Bleeps becomes a Full Blooded run.

Not sure if that makes Total Sense as I'm on a few Beers :shock: , but I think you can get my Drift :lol:

i watched some of this on the Korda DVD he was trying different lenghts and the a shorter seemed to work better, as the carp have less to eject.

On the long rigs they seemed to have no trouble in gettting loose of the rig when they shook there heads as he said they had more line to play with? as it was more slack. Dont quote me on this as gospel just thought id mention it from the DVD.

i watched some of this on the Korda DVD he was trying different lenghts and the a shorter seemed to work better, as the carp have less to eject.

On the long rigs they seemed to have no trouble in gettting loose of the rig when they shook there heads as he said they had more line to play with? as it was more slack. Dont quote me on this as gospel just thought id mention it from the DVD.

Sure but wasn't he fishing "stiffer" hooklinks?

Know what you are saying, but over Beds of Bait a Long Hooklink WILL be inefficient. The Carp is constantly sucking and blowing, the Hook is going to get blown in and out or cause Deep Hooking/Bite-offs.

Yet fish the Long Hooklink where your Free Boilies are further apart and the Carp won't be sucking and blowing the Bait/Hook. It will be moving from 1 bait to the next.

Even better if you can find a Hooklink that the Carp are unaware of and can't feel.

That slackness can also give the fish more confidence to the Carp to move further with the Bait/hook in its mouth.

Look at most hooklinks in common use at the moment, most are stiff, either Monos, Fluorocarbons or Coated Braids. Very few people fish Uncoated Braids. Even those who strip the Braid tend to do just a short section near the eye of the Hook. They will provide inherent stiffness. They tend to fall pretty straight from the Lead, yet a Braided hooklink won't fall straight. Its that not straight effect that is what hooks the Carp. Also If you use the Longer Hooklinks with Running Leads then the Carp has nothing to shift the Lead with as it has no Pivot Point.

Like I say if most people are fishing Short Links then I prefer to go Longer.

Another test for you, feel a piece of Mono, Fluorocarbon or unstripped Coated Braid on your lips. Then try the same with a normal soft/supple braid or Multi Strand. I'm willing to bet that if it is not pulled tight you will be able to feel the Stiffer materials, but not as much the Softer Hooklinks.

If you really want to get into it then Look at the Complicated Rigs thread in Advanced Carp Fishing. Beware there is 4 pages of Thoughts, opinions and tests and some of it is pretty headache inducing stuff, but it will help understanding.[/i]

Another test for you, feel a piece of Mono, Fluorocarbon or unstripped Coated Braid on your lips. Then try the same with a normal soft/supple braid or Multi Strand. I'm willing to bet that if it is not pulled tight you will be able to feel the Stiffer materials, but not as much the Softer Hooklinks.

Sorry, Reading that Statement I realised it doesn't sound quite right.

The Softer Materials won't be so Obvious to feel as the Mono/Fluorocarbon or Coated Braid (with Coating) on the Lip. To me it almost feels like an Electric Shock

Now I know that Carp do not feel like we do, and that they take in stones, Twigs and sticks. Yet under tension then a Stiffer Hooklink may give the Carp some feeling. That feeling may be enough to make them wary.

Best get off that subject now though as I have taken it off Topic :?:oops: , thats another Thread entirely about Hooklink Materials :wink::!:

My rigs have generally got shorter and shorter over the years.

From feet down to cm's.

Short 2cm Flouro Chod Rig. Deadly

Long 30cm Armourbraid or Mantis(partially stripped) with shrink tube hook extension Knotless Knot with a fine hair blowback stylee. Also deadly

I don't know it depends on how I feel and just a little bit on conditions, location, the bottom. How I think the fish are feeling/feeding etc

and on occassions because I've read an article on a rig and just had to tie it and try it.

I am reassured, Mantis is cool, gets my vote out of that little lot.