withy pool rig on the chod setup!!

plowmanccfc

• 3 weeks later...
still use it combined with a ring swivvel so tangle free realy, it should still spin!!, I dont like my own tied chods there never exactly how i want them with the curve and way the hook sits so thought the shrink tube may be a better presentation :?

I've often thought of using a withy with a chod rig, or a chod type rig where I'd normally use a withy. I think the two are pretty interchangeable really as long as its the right swivel for the chod rig. They do the same job, just using a different material. I must say, I like the look of withys. The shrink tubing tucks over the knots nicely, and you don't need to mess around tying neat looking knots in stiff link. Not sure whether the withy would turn as well if the carp took it from the "wrong" way. Really can't think why I think that though. Probably just as good. :)

still use it combined with a ring swivvel so tangle free realy, it should still spin!!, I dont like my own tied chods there never exactly how i want them with the curve and way the hook sits so thought the shrink tube may be a better presentation :?

I've often thought of using a withy with a chod rig, or a chod type rig where I'd normally use a withy. I think the two are pretty interchangeable really as long as its the right swivel for the chod rig. They do the same job, just using a different material. I must say, I like the look of withys. The shrink tubing tucks over the knots nicely, and you don't need to mess around tying neat looking knots in stiff link. Not sure whether the withy would turn as well if the carp took it from the "wrong" way. Really can't think why I think that though. Probably just as good. :)

Im gonna tie one up and see i cant see why it wouldnt though

I wonder why it has received the name 'chod set-up', as the rotary or helicopter name was about long before the name chod.

I've used various type rigs on a helicopter, bomb on the end of the line, rotary or whatever name you want to call it.

I've actually used the Withy pool very little as found no need for it, but found that when I did it was fairly tangle free on the standard pendant, and it didn't tangle on the helicopter style.

At the end of the day try to keep things as simple as possible, but if being what may be overly complicated works for you then try it.

• 4 weeks later...
I wonder why it has received the name 'chod set-up', as the rotary or helicopter name was about long before the name chod.

Didn't Terry Hearn name it that as it was designed to sit on top of the detritus (chod) on the lake bed? The difference between the chod and the helicopter was that the helicopter was mainly used with rig tubing and the rig sat quite close to the lead set up whereas the chod rig was initially set up on lead core and a fair distance (in comparison to the heli rig) from the lead, with the chod rig the lead was set up further away so as not to drag the rig down into the chod with the lead, with the helicopter set up the rig would quite often follow the lead into soft chod thereby masking it.

Didn't Terry Hearn name it that as it was designed to sit on top of the detritus (chod) on the lake bed? The difference between the chod and the helicopter was that the helicopter was mainly used with rig tubing and the rig sat quite close to the lead set up whereas the chod rig was initially set up on lead core and a fair distance (in comparison to the heli rig) from the lead, with the chod rig the lead was set up further away so as not to drag the rig down into the chod with the lead, with the helicopter set up the rig would quite often follow the lead into soft chod thereby masking it.

No mate, it was originally used as a sliding rig set-up, so that the bait would be sat on top of the detritus, either with a leader or tubing, not necessarily leadcore. The use of a leader came about as a naked set-up at the time (no decent rig beads suitable or available) was prone to snapping due to line twist, and then leadcore was supposedly better to mask or keep the line down.

The helicopter set-ups were not necessarily just for silt fishing, but also as the most suitable for long casting.

The name reputedly came fom a Rob Maylin/Terry Hearn conversation when Rob Maylin asked about the lakebed and Terry Hearn replied 'its quite choddy out there'.