Best size hooks?

serbusfish

I'm planning on ordering some pre-made hair rigs from ebay and was wondering which size hook I should go for? The hooks are black, anti-glare, and have 20LB weed-green braid with a size 8 rolling swivel. I can choose from hook sizes 12, 10, 8 or 6.

$(KGrHqZ,!lgE8iN8VervBPN-,fp6(!~~60_12.JPG

I will be choosing the micro-barbed versions btw.

Really depends on the size of you bait (which will dictate the size of the hair too) and other factors but my personal choices lead me to use size 8 generally.

Whats the reason you're buying pre-made?

They're so simple to tie, inevitably cheaper overall, you can tweak things like hair length to allow for larger / smaller baits etc etc and much more satisfying to catch on.

Just seems a false economy to buy pre-mades :D

Yeah I think I will go for Size 8, I use Size 10 at the moment and they are pretty small so Size 8 should be better.

I'd rather buy rather than make myself because its just less hassle, plus I dont have to worry about my lack of knot tying skills letting me down when I get a fish on :)

the cost of tackle is ridiculous these days any way of making it cheaper is good and you really will see how easy it is one day and you will kick yourself for wasting your money on ready tied rigs,and to get perfect presentation you will need to tie your own because the length of hair will not match your hook baits, you will need to match your baits to the hair.

I admire your honesty, but I agree with the others, learn to tie your own.

Pre-tied are supposed to be pretty good, but I wouldn't really trust them because they are so cheap, someone has to pump them out fairly rapidly. I've never bought them so I don't know :oops:

I received the hooks today (size 8 barbed) and they are great, really happy with them. Tried them out today, I had one rod set up with these hooks w/ a pop up boilie and one set up on sweetcorn with size 10 hooks. I only got a few knocks + a Bream on the pop up but its a good start :) I was getting a few tangles + I got stuck on the bottom a few times though, hopefully my catches will improve when I can reduce these occurrences.