Just getting back into it...(West Mids)

chadz

Its been a long long time since I went fishing... Life took over and I had to give it up, as I was just starting to get really into it. Friends and family often offer to take me along on their next trip and recently took up an offer and low and behold Im hooked(again).

Im pretty much a beginner(was before too), the little I learnt some 6-8 years ago has been lost. Im looking for a nice easy water, just to get me back into the swing of things. My old water was always Shatterford, always blanked on the specemin lakes there. Always enjoyed the Stuarts pool though, was ideal back then. Plenty of action 6-12lb range.

We fished that this weekend and got to say I was really dissapointed with the place. The landscape has been left to grow wild where it was once beautiful. The lake didnt look half what I remember. I remember it being a place of beauty, really clean and well looked after. Maybe Im remembering through rose tinted specs but I was dissapointed with the place.

We did catch however. Only the 3 between us. Just 1 for me. 4lb Mirror that looked absolutely stunning in all honesty. I was so happy just to be netting a fish again, then for it to be such a beautiful creature was a massive bonus. Fishing partner had 2 fish, 12lb Common and 13lb Mirror, both on the surface. All 3 fish were caught between 4.30am and 6am. After that it just died off again. We were more than happy, because theres didnt seem to be any action on either of the 2 pools we could see.

Yea so I loved the experience(despite being covered in spots and bites since), but I think its time to give somewhere else a try, Im in the West Mids, looking to find some fairly easy water(need the experience/confidence) that I can night fish. Happy to drive 60 ish miles. Planning to find a decent syndicate once Ive gotten a bit more experience.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help sisco. I appreciate it.

Had a quick skim through on the West Mids section there and its hard to find a carp night fishing spot.(havent read them all yet)

So far really like the look of Baden Hall, but a bit confused as to whether or not you can night fish there.

"Baden Hall's 24-hour day ticket Quarry big carp water..."

Thats from their website but on the price list it only lists prices for day tickets.

Anyone any experience of the place?

Thanks, thats on the list :)

So far Ive got...

Hopsford Hall

Pitsford Fishery

Wildmoor Waters

Willesley Lake

Butlers Hill

Chorley Springs.

And currently google earthing to find a place I once fished in Coventry. I cannot for the life of me remember what its called. Ive been searching for over an hour now. All I can remember is that it was almost like 2 small lakes side by side that linked in the middle with a small bridge over the joining stream. It was off a main road(would help if I could work out which one obviously) and it was featured in Anglers Mail about 8 years ago, lol

I remember you could drive all the way around the lake and park up almost at your swim. I think it was on some kind of farm land but that could be wrong(its been a long time).

So almost no chance of finding it. :oops:

Add Barston lakes to your list mate, love the place, and good for a few runs. Caught many fish there, all good condition too, I've caught upto 16lb 4oz there.

Check out my videos in YouTube, "CarefulCarping" I think it's episode 10 I went to Barston, it's called "Another PB" where I take 19 carp in 24 hours.

Defiantly a place to look at mate if it's not too far.

Ross.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the help sisco. I appreciate it.

Had a quick skim through on the West Mids section there and its hard to find a carp night fishing spot.(havent read them all yet)

So far really like the look of Baden Hall, but a bit confused as to whether or not you can night fish there.

"Baden Hall's 24-hour day ticket Quarry big carp water..."

Thats from their website but on the price list it only lists prices for day tickets.

Anyone any experience of the place?

Hi there mate without meaning to sound too much like Ross here. I've also done a session at one of the lakes you've mentioned "Baden Hall" please feel free to have a look mate a judge for yourself.

Please type in “Carping From The Start” in the YouTube search bar it should come up.

My views on it are that it is cracking venue but just very hard if you are new to the lake, the fish in there are stunning dark fish that anyone would be proud to catch. Plus the added bonus that you get to sleep in the comfort of a shed on each peg.

My thorough views can be seen on the video so can my tactics and bait, so please feel free to give it a watch. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 2 separate nights on shatterford and one 24hr this year and was quite disappointed with the place, fished erics every sesh, first time i had 17lb common, 2nd time 1 mirror one common, and the 24 hour sesh i only had 1 common about 13lbp! the chap who holds the cat record on masters fished next to us and he only had 2 on cell boilie while we was there (just carp), and no one else caught on the lake (every peg was taken) is shatterford just over fished or do you need to spend a few days there???

going to do a 24hr sesh on hopsford hall next week so hopefully have a better experience then shatterford!!