Safer alternative to a weighted leader

garysj01

Just an idea here for the carp angler.

It has been expressed that weighted leaders are in fact not so safe as the weak point of the whole presenation is at the connection from the mainline to the weighted leader. If this knot should snap even if the lead has come off, the fish is still towing round a leader.

So whats the answer, well either fish your rigs naked or use tubing should there be any sharp objects or snags present.

The problem with some tubing it doesn't sit on the lake bed and often can curl up giving a bad presentation, this i hope will help a few out.

rigs004-11.jpg

The tubing in my case is eighteen inches long, but if have wound the lead inner out of leadcore around the tubing 15 times and then shrunk some heat shrink tube over the top to keep in place and to avoid the unraveling of the lead wire inner. This can also be glued in place with some super glue should you feel the need.

rigs005-11.jpg

This is how it looks when its finished, giving you a safer alternative to a weighted leader.

Thanks for looking

This is an old late 80s trick mate...we used to run it round supple tubing and then colour it up to match...or my favourite was to roll in contact adhesive and then roll in camo such as was on the bottom...sand/earth etc....but I will say its good to see it back up here as it is still a good technique :wink:

The good thing is, you can add as many as you want to tubing, i use this tubing with a running lead with an over sized run ring. I cannot claim its 100% but nothing is and i have found that yes tubing can lift and curl sometimes, but all you need to do is tease it straight, i have found weighting it down does help with the curls and lifts. My rods are generally made up before i go and remain made up until i change a whole set up so i dont really get that problem, i have only had problems with brand new tubing which like i said before just needs teasing out, it helps if you do it over a boiling kettle as well, but some tubing can go quite soft so be careful. :)

Could the lead and shrink tube stop an inline lead from coming off the tubing? I accept that with a lead clip this is a safe rig but am slightly concerned should it be used with an inline.

Yes thats why i have specified a larger bore run ring is used, if your ever unsure of a rigs safety then dont use it, inline leads will snag on these :)

Could the lead and shrink tube stop an inline lead from coming off the tubing? I accept that with a lead clip this is a safe rig but am slightly concerned should it be used with an inline.

Yes thats why i have specified a larger bore run ring is used, if your ever unsure of a rigs safety then dont use it, inline leads will snag on these :)

Perhaps we should put that in the original post. It may be me being petty but I fear someone new to angling will see this and try and use it with an inline.