Controller float and zig bugs?

guinness84

Hey, I've been fishing for carp for around 5 years now but i'm just getting interested in float fishing

Whilst down the fishery this afternoon i was chatting to one of the locals and he suggested looking up Controller float and zig bug set ups. I've searched and searched but i can't find much on the subject?

I've already got some 8lb and 10lb Korda Krusier control line and a pack of the 2012 Nash Zigbugs (Both naturals and attraction)

Does anyone know of any site with a video tutorial or even photos of how to set up this style of rig? or could anyone here talk me through how the rig should be?

I'm totally confused

Hey, I've been fishing for carp for around 5 years now but i'm just getting interested in float fishing

Whilst down the fishery this afternoon i was chatting to one of the locals and he suggested looking up Controller float and zig bug set ups. I've searched and searched but i can't find much on the subject?

I've already got some 8lb and 10lb Korda Krusier control line and a pack of the 2012 Nash Zigbugs (Both naturals and attraction)

Does anyone know of any site with a video tutorial or even photos of how to set up this style of rig? or could anyone here talk me through how the rig should be?

I'm totally confused

Have you ever surface fished at all before?

I put a tail rubber through the eye of the controller, (I use a Fox Exocet, Margin Tackle or a Drennan controller (being as I have them to hand), and then the mainline through the tail rubber and attach it to a size 8 swivel.

Attach a hook/zig bug to a long hooklink of at least 60cms long, to as much as you think it needs to be to avoid spooking the carp, as much as 1.5metres, strength dependant on fishing circimstances etc (I use 12lb Drennan Sub Surface Fly Leader, 7lb Trilene XL, or 10lb Preston Reflo line). Then the other end attach to your swivel.

You should be able to cast this fairly easily, the controller adds your casting weight.

Any use:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34583

I doubt you'll find much about surface fishing with zig bugs because i reckon people are only just trying this out as they're originally meant for zig rigs. I guess they'd work as a surface bait too but what would you use to tempt the carp to take your hookbait? When i surface fish i use mixers... but before the rig goes in i get them feeding, then they are more likely to trip up and take my bait.

I doubt you'll find much about surface fishing with zig bugs because i reckon people are only just trying this out as they're originally meant for zig rigs. I guess they'd work as a surface bait too but what would you use to tempt the carp to take your hookbait? When i surface fish i use mixers... but before the rig goes in i get them feeding, then they are more likely to trip up and take my bait.

Yes Zig bugs do work as surface baits, at least the last 20lb carp I landed took one, and I also lost one that took another.

Get the fish feeding confidently and they will take almost everything on the surface in the area.

I allways use dog biscuit as loose feed and bread as hookbait and have caught plenty off the top so i would say they dont need ti be the same

Agreed. Always feed with biscuit and or pellets. 99 out of 100 I use crust on the hook

I didn't say they didn't work, i was kind of asking if you was using the zig as a surface bait then what would you use as free offerings? Common sense says the hook bait should be the same as the free offerings but if this isn't true than id like to know.

For years I've used various dog biscuits as my freebies, but occasionally the hookbait has been a bit of cork, or a fake dog biscuit. If the carp are feeding confidently enough they take everything as they mooch and munch around the area.

At the moment I use Bakers Complete Dog biscuits as my bait, its very rare for me to use the big cubed meaty chunks as freebies, but often do as my hookbait.

Its the same as bottom fishing. You may feed with pellets, particles or groundbait (stick, method or spod mix), yet your hookbait is often a boilie or the current fashion, a piece of fake plastic corn .

Surface fishing is the same.

i just trim a cell pop up to shape of dog biscuit it doesn't come off when casting wet like a biscuit does and is a very similar color to a wet biscuit.

I've used fake corn on the hair with dog biscuits as freebies. Works well.

Ian

I put a tail rubber through the eye of the controller, (I use a Fox Exocet, Margin Tackle or a Drennan controller (being as I have them to hand), and then the mainline through the tail rubber and attach it to a size 8 swivel.

Attach a hook/zig bug to a long hooklink of at least 60cms long, to as much as you think it needs to be to avoid spooking the carp, as much as 1.5metres, strength dependant on fishing circimstances etc (I use 12lb Drennan Sub Surface Fly Leader, 7lb Trilene XL, or 10lb Preston Reflo line). Then the other end attach to your swivel.

You should be able to cast this fairly easily, the controller adds your casting weight.

Any use:

Nick, do you ever find your controller flys back on the cast? I used to use a similar presentation but the controller flew back on the cast and the swivel started to weigh the hooklink down, thus dragging the bait closer to the float. Since then I have been using a rubber bead behind the float to hold it in place.

Any use:

Nick, do you ever find your controller flys back on the cast? I used to use a similar presentation but the controller flew back on the cast and the swivel started to weigh the hooklink down, thus dragging the bait closer to the float. Since then I have been using a rubber bead behind the float to hold it in place.

The controller is firmly attached onto the tail rubber by the size of the swivel eye in the controller itself, it doesn't come off it, and the tail rubber sits on the hooklink swivel tightly.