reccomended lakes in the uk?

hi all, after unforced circumstances our trip to france is cancelled. our money was refunded, the times booked off work. we was scheduled to go on may 5th, so as you know theres prob not a great deal of time to organise and book elsewhere, so where to go in the uk? i myself am a moderate carp angler, ive been fishing about a year now with my pb at 14.3. all the others i was going with are experienced and are mentioning places like bluebell but im fair to hold my hands up and think this is a little out of my depth, not saying i dont fish with confidence, i just believe my skills will come in time. im just generally interested in somewhere where i can get a few runs and maybe beat my pb? i personally fancied drayton reservoir but what ive read on how battered the fish are, i dont realy want to add to that. mileage isnt a problem and any ideas on places will be great. thanks for reading.

Bluebells a nice place, lakes of varying difficulty and the chance of a real fish of a lifetime.

If you still fancy France for that week I might be able to help out there and recomend a water for a small group exclusive which is also extremely good value for money, probably cheaper than bluebells too :lol::lol: and direct ferries are doing £40.50 return through DFDS seaways if booked before a certain date.

If you like the idea of hauling a few carp, what about naseby reservoir, like Drayton but the fish are mostly in top condition. loads of those types of water around the country.

thanks for the replys fellas.

coops- nice1 for that mate, i think some were gutted and others were quite happy that we will stay in the uk now. so france is regretably def off. as for the naseby resrvoir, i like what i see and will def keep that in mind.

brighton carper- we was meant to go linear last november but opted for orchid lakes due to the tackle theft going on down linear. can you reflect on this? is it that bad? surely there is decent security for a place that has such a great complex as this. id love to go :) just dont fancy my gear being robbed by a pikey lol

carp 1971- wow that is one monster of a place, id get lost i think lol

zammmo- looks like a dream place, superb award winning venue. def keep this for reference

thanks for helping, like you say coops theres so many to choose from. all in all i should have a great time. its about getting away from things aswell as the fishing. all the best for the new season all.