braid or fluorocarbon hooklink in winter??????

manuel86

Hi Guys,

just want to pick some brains if thats ok? what do you think would be a better all round hooklink? i know they both have there pros and cons. but ive just got some braid i normally use the iQ2 fluorocarbon with a decent amount of success but i want to broaden my horizons and go down the route of braid.

I have no objection to using fluoro infact i love it. but i just think that braid presents the bait a little better because of the flexibility in it. Do you mother agree? i am using fluoro at the moment by the way.

Braid all the time. :wink:

I do not possess any fluorocarbon hooklink material of any kind. Last time it was used was with an adjustable zig rig, can't remember the last time I used a fluoro rig on the bottom

Depends on the lake you are fishing. Lots of man made lakes or ponds hold their colour through the year so you don't need ot fine down.

A lot of gravel pits and other lakes have every bit of colour fall out of them through the winter, with some mornings seeming to add extra feet of clarity just from the bank. Anything you can do in these lakes to fine down is a bonus. (except where there is weed or snags)

Im on 10lb double strength mono at the minute.

Thanks for the advice. This helps alot As the lake i mostly fish is man made a has been cloudy all winter. but i am also fishing a clear lake. i haven't caught at this venue yet but I've got a whole year to sort that out.

Rodney :wink::lol:

The lake I fish is sometimes very clear, but usually cloudy. When it is clear normally around February to March, the water is so clear you can see the bottom in 15feet of water (and all of the snags if people bothered to look).

Even then I still use my coated and stripped braided or combi-rig hooklinks. I do have a picture somewhere of a clear winter margin with a braided rig in it. I know that in the middle of the lake is totally different in terms of what the fish can or can't see, but this margin picture convinced me that sometimes we may try too hard to camouflage everything when we have no need.

I'd use fluorocarbon not for its invisible properties, but actually for its different behaviour regarding stiffness and how the fish were taking the bait.

Is this any use?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33587

yes that helps a lot. i have made 2 rigs today! (well 4 but made 2 of each) but i just wanted an opinion on length. they are simple hair rigs hairs are slightly longer as im using them for a snowman with a 15 and 10mm. please feel ree to criticise all you want. thanks. picture quality isn't great but i think youll get the idea.

DSCN0039.jpg

Right that's a good piece of advice. the lake im fishing Wednesday is a soft silty bottom.if i was going to use braid then would you say to make them longer? only i always thought you keep braid links generally short??????

i say i want to use braid as im going to using pop ups. an i have tried both rigs in a lunch box of water an the braid just seems more natural looking

Right that's a good piece of advice. the lake im fishing Wednesday is a soft silty bottom.if i was going to use braid then would you say to make them longer? only i always thought you keep braid links generally short??????

i say i want to use braid as im going to using pop ups. an i have tried both rigs in a lunch box of water an the braid just seems more natural looking

The majority of my braided hooklinks are closer to 30cms long, that is for coated and uncoated braids, come to that for most of my hooklinks all together :wink:

The rig pic I was thinking of is on this thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42738&highlight=rig+camouflage

The most important thing is that you put your rig where the food is, on the silt if the carp feed on, or in it of they dig to get their food, so for that you will have to play with the rig length.

you reckon. iv'e looked at both rigs in water an the braid looks better but is that going to make a difference. Theres alway that what if in the back of my head.

:?

I know that if we look at rigs in the water, we are (usually) only looking from a margin point of view, and we have carefully laid the rig down.

In my case my not switching from braid is because it works for me; I have great confidence in my hooklinks. I know that with the way I set them up they are pretty tangle free, and I want to allow the movement that I feel braid offers over the stiffness of fluorocarbon.

You're catching, so what you are currently doing works :wink:

If you are catching there may well be no reason to change, however, if you are using 2 rods, then try a braided hooklink on one and fluoro on the other, and see which produces most fish. That may mean swapping rods over at times, putting your fluorocarbon hooklink where you have had your braid and vice versa.

Compare the results, and get your confidence in what you are doing, preferably with both

There probably are times when one material will outfish the other, don't know why, it happens, then all of a sudden it can switch back.