Fox teflon and Shrink Tubing

sharpy86

I used these hooks on a simple hair-rig with a shrink tubing line alinger. I used them for one session, then put everything back into the rod holdall.

When i came to clean my rods and reels a couple of days later, i noticed that where the tubing was over the hook eye and the knotless knot part. It had turned orange / brown in colour. After closer inspection, i noticed that it was rusted! I have put hooks and everything back like this before with no problems.

Anyone else had this issue before?

From now on i will be using quick release swivles and remove each rig after a session to let more air get to it.

Hooks can go rusty if you Use the Steam from the Kettle to Shrink your Shrink tubing. You have to shake and dry them properly before you put them away or put some Silca Gel in your wallet or Rig Bin. Silica Gel absorbs the moisture.

On the topic of steaming with a kettle, the kryston silkworm seems to "come apart" when i do steam? :? Takes me a few attempts to get it right.

Any suggestions?

Had the same problem with Silkworm, I ended up resorting to a Hair Dryer to get it not to "shrink" on some of the fibres

• 2 weeks later...
Don't use any tubing it's not needed imo.

I think all this tubing is to catch the angler more than the fish.

The hook point can turn much more effectively if the shrink tubing has been 'shrunk' at the right kind of angle. I've not been using shrink tubing since summer though and ive not noticed any dramatic effects, banked every fish that has cared to grace my kordas :D so... maybe your right...

The Knotless Knot can give you the angle as the Line comes from the inside of the eye, but its not as acute as that provided by Tubing.

Shrink Tubing is not always an Essential as Fine Bore Silicon Tubing can give the same effect when fished with a Line Aligner.

Its only when you really need to bend the Tubing to increase Hooking potential from wary and Heavily fished for Carp that you need Shrink Tubing