Braid, Fluro or mono hair rigs?? when, where & why??

wk9187

Hi all

I have been tying my own rigs for a while now & have always made them up using braid.

Having done a bit or research & from talking to & seeing what others at my local lake are using ive begun to start think about tying some using fluro & mono.

However I'm a bit confused as to where & when it would be best to use each one. What are the advantages & disadvantages of each??

For example when & why would you use braid over fluro or vice verse, or when would you use mono over the other two??

There seems to be an endless & bewildering array of variations & I'm just getting a bit caught up in it all!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Hi all

I have been tying my own rigs for a while now & have always made them up using braid.

Having done a bit or research & from talking to & seeing what others at my local lake are using ive begun to start think about tying some using fluro & mono.

However I'm a bit confused as to where & when it would be best to use each one. What are the advantages & disadvantages of each??

For example when & why would you use braid over fluro or vice verse, or when would you use mono over the other two??

There seems to be an endless & bewildering array of variations & I'm just getting a bit caught up in it all!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Fish with what you have confidence with!

I nearly always use braid or combi links, because they suit my fishing, yet the simplest and easiest material to use is simply mono, the same as your mainline.

Look at how the fish feed in your lakes, see what works best, and use whatever seems to provide the best hookholds in your fishing, whatever material.

Somewhere in UK Carp Fishing a while ago there was a debate on the merits of fluoro or mono over braid (in a thread about putting the rig in PVA https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50214), my view is that braid allows better movement when the fish picks up the hookbait, mono or fluoro can't extend any further on a pick up, or even suck if the fish suck food from a distance.

Simply, don't confuse yourself with rigs, a simple knotless knotted rig will catch the vast majority of fish in the waters, and what appears to be inefficient with the palm or thumb test, can well be very efficient when the bait and rig is put into the fish in a way that they are happy to feed over.

So get the feeding situation right, and the simplest basic rig will work :wink:

If you don't get hookups, then the first thing to do is extend the rig or hair length.

As a start use braid for a soft bottom and weed and stiffer materials for firmer clearer bottoms however braid is also good on firmer bottoms. All rigs tied correctly and presented properly will increase your chances. you can have the best rig in the world but if you leave it to short and plug it in silt the bait will not be easy for the fish to find.

Which ever you use i would suggest you make sure it sinks to the bottom by adding putty to it. once a braided hooklink is wet you can run it through your fingers to remove any air trapped in it.

I have caught using stiff and braid types and also braid and mono hairs. I like coated hooklinks because they are more versitile.

• 2 weeks later...

i tend to use light braid hairs if i am fishing with luncheon meat or boilies say 15lbs braid sizes 8 or 10 ......... for sweetcorn sizes 10 or 12 with nylon hairs on 12lbs line. same for maize. i have never used fluro because ita lot wider than nylon line and not suitable in my opinion to use except as a main line ,which i use 14lbs line...