stiff "d" rig, hooks?

oggy86

I've been using the stiff "d" rig recently with bottom baits and have been having quite a bit of success, but when it comes to the hook test on the side of your hand, the hook always turns away and never catches hold.

i'm currently using hooks from the korda range with an out turned eye

(can't think of name) if anyone else is familiar with this rig please can you tell me what a more suitable hook may be.

thanks in advance

Andy

Sounds like you maybe tying your rig wrong,the line needs to be threaded through the back of the hook towards the point.Also when you do the palm test,have a bait on the hook as this gives a far better idea of wheather it is turning or not...

I've been using the stiff "d" rig recently with bottom baits and have been having quite a bit of success, but when it comes to the hook test on the side of your hand, the hook always turns away and never catches hold.

i'm currently using hooks from the korda range with an out turned eye

(can't think of name) if anyone else is familiar with this rig please can you tell me what a more suitable hook may be.

thanks in advance

Andy

since when has the palm of your hand been the same as a carps mouth?which when it takes your bait in may also suck in stones,leafs,twigs pellets etc.if your nailing them then i wouldnt worry mate.a mate i fished with had a rig that never caught your hand whenever you pulled it across it and he used to nail carp on it.if your looking to change the hook then maybe change to the atomic chodda hook which has a straight point,but other than that if it aint broke dont fix it :wink:

• 1 month later...

An honest answer here, and one that people overlook is Emmcee's point about the "thumb" and "palm" tests.

There are many hookrigs that would fail both tests, yet work effectively and catch plenty of fish, and nicely hooked in the bottom lip.

Years ago I first started using the D-rig for bottom and pop-up baits, it is effective with both. The hooks I have been using for a while have been curved shank hooks, in the picture on this thread https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185 I think from memory was a Carp-r-Us Nailer or Centurion hook.

That is not the only brand that will work, as the Gamakatsu GP204, the Gardner Muggas are similar patterns, and there are others.

You've found a preference for you with an out turned eye hook, that does not make it less effective, just bear in mind that what works for you is not the same preference that everyone else has.