Chod Rig Hook Length - How Long?

southcoastden

the deeper the silt, the longer the chod

really? I thought the idea was the line below the chod sank into the muck and left the mainline at the chod free.

The way you say it the bait would be hanging off the back of a mini flagpole in the silt - I dunno I like that method!

the deeper the silt, the longer the chod

really? I thought the idea was the line below the chod sank into the muck and left the mainline at the chod free.

The way you say it the bait would be hanging off the back of a mini flagpole in the silt - I dunno I like that method!

A case of fish being caught despite the rig set-up :?:shock::twisted::wink:

Most lines that sink will work their way into the softer top layers of silt, weed or whatever chod you are fishing over and the pop up will look to a carp from above as if it is sitting onto of the silt ect. Use a light lead and it will not sink into the silt too much.

My point is the chod hooklink length needs to varied on how deep you want it off the bottom, the length from the rig to the lead is set a over the silt depth as not to drag it into the bottom as the lead lands

Guest Anonymous

Den, I've used chods for a fair few years regularly now and had the majority of my bigger fish on them.

A few tips, over silt fish it naked, as in no leadcore and you might not need putty but if you do then only enought to sink the bait ultra slowly.

Don't trap the hooklength in position, let it drop to the lead and have the top bead about three feet up, fixed with a small Korda sinker with a Korda tapered 4mm bead pushed onto that with the smaller hole in the bead facing up towards your rod tip so that it pulls off easily should you snap up.

Finally, use pva nuggets on the hook, this allows the hooklength to travel to the stop on the cast and also brings the bait to settle on the bottom more slowly.