lead clip system getting caught in weed

chris27

this is a problem with the clip...it works when the fish takes it away from you...not so great when you retrieve,can cause problems if it snaggy and you reel in. inline works well in weed i find, if you want to dump the lead tehn i use the drop off inline set up.

Guest Anonymous

Depends on what you hit on the retrieve mate, another way is to use a 4lb "rotten bottom" if it'll withstand your cast, this'll break in weed once a fish is on. my weed rig is a heli rig with the hooklength halfway up the leadcore, a la chod style but with a coated hooklength and pop up which sits where the carp are.........not on the bottom most of the summer, your freebies catch the weed at different depths too. On the clip at the bottom of the leadcore (where you normally put the lead) tie a length of "rotten bottom" and attach your lead to this.

If the price of leads is a concern google leadshed and give Aaron a go, 60 pence each for top drawer leads, and a nice bloke too.

I fish in the thickest of weed and what works for me is the simple lead clip. Make sure the lead clip is wet before you push the rubber on and also push the rubber on very slightly. The rubber is simply just to stop the lead coming off on the cast. You will find the lead will come off on the take and the fish will rise to the surface 9 times out of 10. If the lead doesn't eject still you can cut the clip back as well.

Cheers

Will

I knew that there was a reason I dislike lead clips. :roll:

They do NOT give the best answer to fishing, yet down to over marketing they are seen as the be all and end all. :?:roll:

It can be a lead clip that due to angler error (not even intentionally), the tail rubber being pushed on a tad too far, the lug not being trimmed back, or the clip itself becoming jammed with weed, and the fish is being played with half a ton of weed, and a lead that is halfway up the line, leading to the whole lot being lost.

I much prefer Inline set-ups in weed; Very little weed actually hangs up on an Inline Distance lead, instead masking the hook or fish on the retrieve, making it a whole lot easier to get everything in.

The other option is to go to a set-up that is GUARANTEED to lose the lead, not what is sold as being likely to lose it. Attach the lead to a John Roberts bead semi- fixed onto the mainline to hooklink swivel with a paperclip or tie the lead on with a piece of 3 or 4lb mono, or use the proper clips provided and cut the lug at the (mainline side) top so that the lead can be ejected. These clips while not being designed exclusively as the current Lead clips are, worked well and anglers KNEW that they would have to adapt them.