the garrison fishery in colchester essex.

I've fished the Garrison in the past. I was on there from 98 through to around 2004/05. It's a great little water. Lots of features, pads, weed, gravel patches etc. All very close up stuff and the carp used to be very clued up.

I have some great memories of the place. Ranging from the work parties where we built new paths and swims, through to the beautiful misty summers morning with the haze of the sun coming through the trees onto the water.

Strangely enough my nickname comes from my time on the Garrison. I finally landed the lakes biggest fish after a lot of trying, and I was shaking so much that I couldn't even manage to un-hook her, so i shouted for help. I was still shaking about 4 hours later when a few of the guys came down to see me :oops:

A view down the lake:

shots002.jpg

One of the 'character' carp that used to be in there:

carpy002.jpg

The year I got my ticket was the season after the big 'un had past away so that left the biggest in there being a shade under 30. That fish would go over 30lb but it depended on the time of year.

If the biomass of the water is right, it can easily support the number of carp in there given the size of the water and give good growth rates. The problem we had when I was in there was the number of silver fish. The amount of rudd and roach in there was incredible. I helped the EA net it once to remove some of the silver fish to help reduce the biomass of the water and we filled there tanks in no time !!

• 8 years later...