why hair rigs?

stickchopper

sometimes or most of the time, carp are stationary over the bait and just mouth it ,suck it in and blow it out ( feel it like we would with our hands )

a hooked bait works if when the fish moves off with a closed mouth,or you strike

so for most bottom bait fishing a hair works better as the hook can still work if bait is ejected ( blown out )

and its hard to hook an air dried boilie

Just a word of warning, go for Mono Hair Rigs, as a Braid Hair Rig can be a nightmare for a first timer (as I found out), you'll often find the Boilie stop will have a tad excess plastic thats hard to cut of or file down that can catch the hair's loop and fray it quite badly... making it VERY hard to actually put your baits on it after a few casts...

If I recall, I lost my rag with it after 20 minutes and walked a mile to the nearest tackle shop to buy some Korum Mono Hair Rigs, lol.

Also use Boilies or Fake Corn... real corn comes off easily with nibbles and you won't want to be re-applying corn every 5 minutes, lol.

why hair rigs for carp and not just normal baited hook?

forgive my dumbness im new to this carp fishing

Full reason!

Carp were getting wary of Baited hooks back in the 70's and were giving screaming runs and nothing was there, or the Carp felt the resistance of the line and the Bait. It wasn't until the 80's that Kevin Maddocks, Lennie Middleton and Keith Gillings came up with the Idea of attaching the Bait to the hook with Human Hair, hence the Name Hair Rig.

Since the Development of the Original hair which was between 1-2inches long, the hair seems to have become shorter and we are almost, in many cases, fishing Shank mounted baits by virtue of the fact that the "Hair" is so short. Once again we can be back to the problem of Carp knowing that the Bait attached to the hook is dangerous.

dbofblacksouls,

Must admit I have no problems with Braid Hairs. Maybe its down to the way I make them. I tie a large overhand loop knot at the end of the Braid and then attach the hook knotless knot style. I then clean up the loop knot with a quick fly past with a Lighter, in fact if you look at the 2nd picture on this thread carefully, https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185, you can see where I have burnt the tag end down. The large loop does not have any problem accepting the Boilie Stop, and the Knot holds the Boilie in position against the Boilie Stop so it doesn't slide up or down.

I also don't cut the Boilie stop away from the remainder of the strip until I have put it into the Hair Loop.

Incidentally I don't buy my Boilie Stops, I have a large stock gained from when I worked in a Fire Alarm/Extinguisher Company. The Tags that are on Fire Extinguishers are exactly the same as Boilie Stops you can buy from a Tackle shop. I would get all the Broken Tags and get permission to take them home. :wink: