Sydney via Chaffey Dam, Nundle

G'day All,

Well, it has been a hectic holiday that's for sure. But I have got myself organised to head to Sydney on the 6th Jan.

Having not had much luck this far north (Gold Coast) I am hopeful that I will be able to get amongst them further south.

First stop will be Chaffey Dam, just south of Tamworth, rumours of big fish. I was going to do just one night there to break up the journey south but have decided to do 2 nights. These fish need prebaiting by all reports to get decent results so I figure 2 nights might get me a result.

Then on to Sydney, staying at the Lane Cove Tourist Park right on the river for a week from the 8th-14th Jan. Camping baby!!! Heard of the boys doing well out of there so once again hopeful.

Have done up at least 20kg's of maize for the trip so should get me through. Limited tackle so will just hope not to get busted off too many times on these monster Sydney carp!!! Will hopefully get a look at Parra as well.

If any of you Sydney carpers want to catch up for a fish/chat/beer let me know by pm. Maybe with your mob numbers too so I can get in contact when in Syd. I know spots are heavily guarded but as I'm on a plane back to blighty on the 20th maybe a few hints'd be cool? Really need a good fish for the WCC publicity machine!!!

Cheers,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Mate i stayed in the same park and baited up a good spot. Walking distance from the boat ramp, if you follow the track from the boat ramp on your right, you'll come to an opening with a fallen tree on your left. I fished here for a couple of days, got a few runs, but my gear wasn't good enough for the fish. Check it out, it's worth a try.

Ausfisher

ps. sweetcorn as bait.

• 3 weeks later...
G'day All,

Well, it has been a hectic holiday that's for sure. But I have got myself organised to head to Sydney on the 6th Jan.

Having not had much luck this far north (Gold Coast) I am hopeful that I will be able to get amongst them further south.

First stop will be Chaffey Dam, just south of Tamworth, rumours of big fish. I was going to do just one night there to break up the journey south but have decided to do 2 nights. These fish need prebaiting by all reports to get decent results so I figure 2 nights might get me a result.

Then on to Sydney, staying at the Lane Cove Tourist Park right on the river for a week from the 8th-14th Jan. Camping baby!!! Heard of the boys doing well out of there so once again hopeful.

Have done up at least 20kg's of maize for the trip so should get me through. Limited tackle so will just hope not to get busted off too many times on these monster Sydney carp!!! Will hopefully get a look at Parra as well.

If any of you Sydney carpers want to catch up for a fish/chat/beer let me know by pm. Maybe with your mob numbers too so I can get in contact when in Syd. I know spots are heavily guarded but as I'm on a plane back to blighty on the 20th maybe a few hints'd be cool? Really need a good fish for the WCC publicity machine!!!

Cheers,

Ben

Hey mate, how did you get on at Chaffey Dam? I'm looking to fish there at the weekend, we've got all sorts of kit to take with us and I've made up boilies and hair rigs from stuff I've found in OZ.

It's a 5 hour drive from where I live but I've heard good things, how duid you get on.

G'day Mate,

I haven't really got down to doing a trip report on Chaffey, but needless to say I did catch!! I have photos too but they are to be sent to the WCC for publicity later in the year.

My tactics were very simple. Stinky maize was my weapon of choice and put out 5kg's straight off the bat. Then an enormous storm came rumbling down the peel valley and I had to take shelter for the night. Next morning I put out two chods(honey yucatan pop-ups) over the area and it wasn't 2min before both rods tore off! It was cracking sport with fish to 10lbs but I reckon there has to be bigger. Awesome fighters too as these virgin carp just don't know hooks!!

I fished chod as the bottom is rough with old grass and debris. watch out for sunken tree stumps too. You'll feel them grating up your line on the fight. I fished 8lb fluoro with 12lb fluoro leader and only lost one on the stumps. Prob caught 20-25 fish in two days. Mad fun!!

When you come off Nundle road into the camping area you can go right or left. I went right, down to the bay facing the dam wall. Skiers do launch out of the bay, but didn't seem to spook the fish one bit. Close to the shower block too. Lots of areas to fish, decent banks to set-up around the entire dam. And not another angler in sight. Awesome!! TBH I don't think it matters where you set-up, just remember it is exposed so you may want to watch the prevailing wind and weather forecast.

I could go on and on, I loved the place. My first Aussie carping experience and it was everything I could've wanted...except for that 20lber. Maybe you'll get one, fingers crossed!!

Cheers,

Ben

Actually I do have some photo's up of Chaffey, check out my picasa album.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/benthegardener/AustralianCarping# First couple are Albert River in QLD then down the bottom are the Chaffey ones. Check the brace, that was the 2min result!!