The Grand slam of Aussie Carp?

citycountry

G'day All,

Being here has given me time to really think about Aussie carp, tbh honest carp in general is all I think about but you know what I mean..... :lol:

So, been looking through articles, abstracts, dpi notes and such briefly. So there are four distinct strains yes? Prospect, Yanco, Boolarra, & Koi.

My question being has anyone caught them all? Attempted to, couple of? Even on the radar as a quest?

Thoughts welcome, Merry Christmas All!!

Ben

G'day All,

Being here has given me time to really think about Aussie carp, tbh honest carp in general is all I think about but you know what I mean..... :lol:

So, been looking through articles, abstracts, dpi notes and such briefly. So there are four distinct strains yes? Prospect, Yanco, Boolarra, & Koi.

My question being has anyone caught them all? Attempted to, couple of? Even on the radar as a quest?

Thoughts welcome, Merry Christmas All!!

Ben

G'Day Ben,

That's a very interesting topic you have raised here. I've caught heaps of koi and goldies in WA, and of course hybrids of the two. But I wouldn't have a clue what particular strain of carp I've caught on the waters I've fished in SA, ACT & VIC or what their specific distribution is? I can't say I've noticed any dramatic differences between the carp caught in these different states either. Perhaps posting a photo of each variety might shed some light on this?

Also wasn't there a strain of German mirrors released into the east Gippsland region - I'm not sure what they were called, maybe someone on here will know?

Tell you what, I don't know enough about it really or if you've read this but basically I got these strains from this article. Fascinating read....

http://www.daff.gov.au/brs/land/feral-animals/apamp/managing_the_impacts_of_carp/publication_details

German Mirrors could be the original stocking in 1859 :shock: from what I read possibly? Or the Yanco strain? Don't know if that population still exists in it's original form or has hybridized with the Boolarra strain.. Also talk of carp populations in WA, don't know if you target these already? See 2.2.6.

Anyway, check it out mate!

Hope your having a good Chrissy..I know I am!! No fishing yet for reasons your aware but tomorrow I begin hopefully!!! Up the Albert River, apparently could be another variant on Boolarra strain ie seperate introduction.

Take it easy,

Ben

Tell you what, I don't know enough about it really or if you've read this but basically I got these strains from this article. Fascinating read....

http://www.daff.gov.au/brs/land/feral-animals/apamp/managing_the_impacts_of_carp/publication_details

German Mirrors could be the original stocking in 1859 :shock: from what I read possibly? Or the Yanco strain? Don't know if that population still exists in it's original form or has hybridized with the Boolarra strain.. Also talk of carp populations in WA, don't know if you target these already? See 2.2.6.

Anyway, check it out mate!

Hope your having a good Chrissy..I know I am!! No fishing yet for reasons your aware but tomorrow I begin hopefully!!! Up the Albert River, apparently could be another variant on Boolarra strain ie seperate introduction.

Take it easy,

Ben

G'Day M8,

I do target what little there is as outlined in this second-hand and highly inaccurate .gov.au gem of a document. 2.2.6 refers to another gem being: "Introduced Cyprinid (Carp) Fishes in Western Australia and their management implications" which is a combined thesis from Edith Cowan Uni (1996). Which is in my opinion a worthless piece of crud, as it is almost entirely based on very old and unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence, and not on hard proof - hence the lack of any photos of captures, or media publications to support their claims. The whole paper puts ups a very flimsy and shallow argument indeed, and it's quite disturbing that other gov agencies adopt and accept this drivel as factual :roll:

Even to the most uneducated, it becomes immediately obvious when reading it that no one mentioned within this honours thesis knows the difference between a common carp, mirror carp, koi or goldie. They are all deemed to be just "carp" which is far too vague when examining WA distribution of cyprinid's. One needs to be very clear about which particular variety is being discussed - this paper fails to do that!

I don't think the Yanco, Boolarra or Prospect strain made into WA, or any other variety of cyrinus carpio other than koi? But I would love to be proved wrong one day :shock:

Good luck with your fishing/filming - hope to see some cool footage soon?

ATB Andy 8)

Sounds like you may have a better understanding of this topic than me Andy, why am I not surprised!!

Any other articles you think may be of interest to me please post or pm them mate. I'm fascinated by the history of carp in this country. Victorian acclimatisation programs, aquaculture ventures, the lot!! What we need tho as you mentioned are certified photo's of the different strains. That I think would be a start, who has them or if they even exist is another question.

Finally got some photo's up of this mornings reccie with Dad, Albert River just north of me on the Gold Coast. Muggy but tranquil...love it!!!!

Cheers,

Ben

I was fishing at my local spot in liverpool nsw, i had caught a handfull of common's when all of a sudden i got a screaming run followed by an airial summersolt after the hook up. To a freshwater fisho i thought it was a bass but this was a pond and i had a fair idea there where none in this body of water so i carried on and once in the net this fish had the body shape of a bass or perch but the unmistakable colours of a carp and only a couple of whiskers in total. I was stumped and this thing didn't fight like a carp........it fought like a spartan. Any ideas? PHOTOS TO COME