Mequinenza Carp Fishing Spain

ernie1982

Hi guys,

I had planned to go to france for a week next year but as I can only get time off at the start of March when its quite cold I have now chose to fish the Segre at Mequinenza for the first time, where you fish days only with an apartment for the nights.

I was hoping for any information from people who have fished there before on what tackle would be best and what bait etc....

Will I need braid or Mono mainline? ( perhaps with a leader ) what hook size would be best? ( i was thinking size 2,4,6 ) and also what hooklink material ie some form of coated braid and some quicksilver - if really snaggy and if the cats move in and also lead size...

Finally onto the bait, I am going with Catmaster Tours and have been told its best to bait lightly i.e bags,stringers etc so as not to draw the cats in (although I dont mind hooking 1 or 2) and that 20/22mm pellets are best for the carp although I think I would still definelty bring/buy some boilies to fish with and was thinking of fireing out a kilo or 2 each day if that works?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but if anyone could help answer some of these questions, it would be a massive help for me to get the right terminal tackle, bait etc and help me prepare properly, nothing worse than getting it wrong!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

you should be in for a treat. dont worry too much about the cats- at that time of year there will be a lot of melt water coming down and they won tbe too active. you could put 10kg of maize and 10 kg of pellets in a day and it wont be too much. some of the best hits I have seen have been over 25kgs of pellets!!!

dont worry too mcuh about tackle too as there are two well stocked tackle shops in the town.

Just step up your normal gear that you fish with in the UK and you will be OK. If you are fishing at distance you may have to go up to 6 oz of lead to hold bottom. Take some plastic corn and fish with a few grains of maize on the hair aswell- as an alternative to pellets. dont ignore the margins either- sometimes they will be ripping the bank to pieces right under your feet.

good luck.