Carping over Christmas

techo

So who is wetting a line for carp over the coming few months?

Cod Opening weekend is on 5th Dec, so will be heading to Burrinjuck for that. Dawn and dusk sessions will be from the boat luring for cod, callop and redfin, during the day its float and fly techniques for the carp.

Thanks mods for putting this area back.

Busy Christmas for me mate!

Hope to be fishing several impoundments down the NSW coast and ACT. From the old section I garnered info on these places I hope to hit:

Chaffey Dam

Lake Keepit

Lake Liddell

Cattai R

Wyangala

Parra

Manly

Lane Cove

LBG

Ginni

Tuggeranong

...phew!!!

Prob not all but most hopefully, got 4 weeks to get as much fishing in as possible!

2 weeks till I go...stoked as!

Cheers,

Ben

What dates are you around Canberra? Might be able to show you a spot or two.

Timing will be interesting, have two trips on late Dec early Jan, coarse for eels and a trout trip.

One word of warning - that time of year the ACT lakes tend to get algal blooms and can be subject to complete closure for health reasons.

Though with the drought starting to break (november storms back for the first time since 2004) there may be enough flow to prevent the algae taking off.

Plenty of other options around including rivers and lakes 10 mins - 2 hours drive away. Or head up the unfished blackberry alley.

What sort of temperatures are you guys likely to experience over the coming weeks, and does temperature affect the carp fishing much?

Ian

Ian it can really depend on what state you are in, i am down south in melbourne and we have had a couple of weeks of very hot weather which has really warmed the waters which have not been fishing too well. The best sessions i have had have been on nights of quite muggy weather and the fihs have been abit more active.

Commoncarp.jpg

What sort of temperatures are you guys likely to experience over the coming weeks, and does temperature affect the carp fishing much?

Ian

Up to about 46C. a few weeks of 40plus sorts the men from the boys.

Yes, it certainly does affect fishing in a number of ways.

- the fishing picks up immensely initially.

- algal blooms start to occur as water temp rises.

- there is a lot more surface food.

- food eventually declines

- water flow changes, resulting in food naturally occurring in drops rather than flow deposits.

- less flow alters water clarity

- warmer water adjusts thermoclines and feeding/cruising patterns.

- predators are more active

- The fish get scared away due to jumping in the water to cool off every half hour or so.

You have to adjust your tactics due to these and other factors.