rigs,rigs,rigs

1chris1

hiya lads

im going to my local carp fishing tackle shop to buy some stuff for my tackle box as im running low on stuff lol.i have got £30 to spend.

i have just started using the KD rig but i was woundering what the best hook pattern is to use woth this rig? also what is the best hook to use on a normal hair rig/knotless knot?

what hook link mono-braid should i buy is the korda IQ soft any good? im using 15lb korda adrena main line and i normaly use a 12lb hook lenght is that ok?

the lake i all ways fish is mainly open water.there is very few snags.the bottom is a lil silty.

chris

Chris

Have a look at Erics, they are doing a half price sale on terminal stuff, it will cost you £5, p and p, order on Wed pm and it turned up on Friday, so good service as well

With the KD I use either a wide gape or kurv

IQ soft is good if you are fishing clear water, but is difficult to tie until you get used to it, don't be fooled by the name it is quite a stiff material good for stiff links or chod rigs

People say that you should use a lesser bs hooklink than your mainline, but it is difficult to find 12lb bs material, in the main it will be 15lb or above, as long as you don't go higher than you mainline you should be okay

I would say for the Kd rig the kurve is the best hook ,as for hooklenght i have just started using one called jelle wire its the dogs doolies and well worth a look, its also sold by atomic tackle under the brand name jelly wire ,same stuff .

• 2 weeks later...
hiya lads

im going to my local carp fishing tackle shop to buy some stuff for my tackle box as im running low on stuff lol.i have got £30 to spend.

i have just started using the KD rig but i was woundering what the best hook pattern is to use woth this rig? also what is the best hook to use on a normal hair rig/knotless knot?

what hook link mono-braid should i buy is the korda IQ soft any good? im using 15lb korda adrena main line and i normaly use a 12lb hook lenght is that ok?

the lake i all ways fish is mainly open water.there is very few snags.the bottom is a lil silty.

chris

Absolutely loads of answers to this and almost everyone is going to give you a different answer.

Further along the page is a thread called "What is the best hook?", and in the UK Rig Tying Stickies, "What is the best bottom bait hook?"

Get faith in a particular hook pattern, and then stick with it

Now my personal choice is that I avoid Korda hooks and rig materials.

I prefer Carp-R-Us hooks, Kryston hooklinks in braid and coated braid, then for mono hooklinks I resort to Berkley XT, Drennan Sub Surface Mono leader (Fly Fishing section) or the last little bit I have left of P-line Floroclear or Carp-R-Us Clearwater for fluoro hooklinks. I hardly ever use anything other than braid or coated braid as I have so much faith in what I do and know that it works for me.

To a certain extent match up the hooklinks to what you are fishing for, although most braids less than 15lb may actually be a risk as it is possible for them to cut the fish as they are so fine.

I can honestly say that I have never used the KD rig, it is just a currently fashionable rig being pushed by the magazines.

You are probably far better using a basic knotless knotted or line aligned hook, and dependant on where you hook the fish playing with the hair and rig length (Threads available).

Swivels, hooks, and hooklinks will soon go through £30

Suggestion for you:

DO NOT buy Korda, Solar, Nash, Fox or other branded swivels as most are just re-branded from either Mustad, Leeda, Middy or Berkley.