drayton reservoir

the pegs after the sailing club or the far bank (left hand side from car park) are the only real places to bivvy up. No chance off the dam wall, unless you're OK sleeping under the stars, and one small slip from 20ft+ of cold water. Not for me.

The wooden platform will be tricky to setup on, but people manage it, there were 7 or 8 bivvies up when I arrived there a few weeks ago - all on the pegs immediately after the sailing club (30-34) or the far side (90-110) - far side would be my preference. Been a while since I walked over there but there was a grass bank which would be loads better for bivvying up on!!

As for the fishing, anything goes, last time I went I did better with a pellet tipped with plastic corn and a small bag of pellet than over my baited area. Dog biscuits owked great too - at least they would if I could hit the bites off the surface :wink: That was off the Dam wall.

The guys 3 or 4 pegs over were fishing bread, that's all, paste and liquidised breadflake - took the place apart...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't imagine why anyone would want to bivvy up at Drayton (unless they either live a long way away or like camping!) A friend and I went there a couple of weeks ago. Once we got the drop on the going method (10mm pineapple boilie/pellet and pva stick) it was "cast out, wait 20 seconds, strike, play fish in, repeat process". One rod was more than enough! Non stop action all day.

Obviously not all days are the same but even when it is "bad" you wouldn't get any sleep!

A bit of both probably. I did read that BW had put over 50,000 carp into Drayton (Wikipedia so it must be true!). Can't really see how a lake that size could support such a population without anglers feeding them as well!

Also, unlike other "carp pools" the fish at Drayton have a high average size - I don't think we caught one under about 7lb - the average was about 10lb.

Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised at the fishing facilities there. The platforms are some of the best I have seen with bank stick clips and even a hole for your brolly!

A great location for getting a bend in your rod!

Now they're doing fewer matches and tightening up on rules it should be fine.

Historically it's been used heavily as a match venue (lots of poles and bullying fish to the net too soon) and had very 'open' rules so lots of the fish are in less than tiptop condition.

You still see people fishing with inappropriate tackle - end tackle wise, rods/reels and (especially) small nets and no mats. But the bailiff's are now clamping down on mats (etc).

I generally get over there a couple of times a year and normally catch a fish or two towing a rig, or with a great big barbed hook left in...

The reason it's easy is there are so many fish, def overstocked for volume of water, and it tends to fish well in autumn as the water is quite deep in the middle and at the dam end so it remains warmer later in the year...

did a day there saturday and the boards on the dam just need finishing off as they dont have the top on them yet..

as for the fishing i got the at 9 so i didnt have much of a choice in pegs so i just dropped in one spare peg on the dam..

i had 16 fish between 9am and 5pm (my arm was dropping off so i thought it was time to go haha) with the last 2 coming at the same time. luckily there was a chap next to me to save my other rod.

my arm was dropping off so i thought it was time to go haha

the lowest being 10lb and the biggest being 16lb

this was the first time i had ever been to drayton so not bad going

the two chaps either side of me didnt catch all day.

LOL :wink:

I had a meeting with a prospective client over Northants way today and drove back via Drayton, the platforms on the Dam wall are FAR from finished, they seem to be building the base first than adding the pallet-style platforms later, so it's fishing off the concrete...

The water is way down, must be 6 feet down, maybe 7...

I got talking to a brummie lad (Aide) who was getting fish so often he let me land a couple :wink:

So here I am, in my usual work attire, with a fish:

photo.JPG

Cheers Aide, much appreciated!!

Aide is just back from Gigantica and is one of a very short list of poeple to have had a fish on the first day, read the report here: http://www.gigantica-carp.com/reports# (go to the report for June 5th).

I really hope we win the project in Northants as this opens up the possibility of some evenings at Drayton.... happy days...

Stood talking for 20 minutes and on one occasion Aide cast out after a fish and hadn't even bent over to put the rod on the rests and it soared off! So it's fishing well...

@dpws6

Walked the far bank yesterday, they've built some areas for bivvies, look quite comfortable actually, certainly better than trying it on the boards...

With the water level down so low it's really easy to bivvy up on the bankside - it's normal under 4 foot of water (at least) so expect it to be muddy...

fished here sunday and was a good day allthough only caught 3 carp and a jack pike myself but others were catching alot more, bit disappointed with the venue as went with my disabled brother so most spots were no good, also can see what everyone means about the poor condition of the fish's mouths etc + also a shame that at least half the people we came across were doing nothing but adding to that damage :cry:

well I got to the res yesterday with my mate at 7.30 am, no car parking spaces left, lots of pegs taken it was rammed, found 2 pegs on dam wall near the sailingclub end, may have been 42 and 41, all the frames are now finished fort the pegs on the dam wall but none have tops yet or bank stick bolly holders,

the plan was to fish with pva mesh of pellets and boilies, had first fish within 30 mins under 10 lb so not weighed, lots of people catching and a few having hard time,

managed 14 fish between the 2 of us for the day, not geat buy this location but was fun for my mates whos previous bestfish was 8lb, we both ended up with a 15 lb each ,

I caught a 13lb fish with my hook and 2 others stuck in it, 2dips backin the water and it was all cleaned up and free of hooks and line, these fish are in an appalling condition,and I can nowsee why the way a lot of weekend anglers with little knowledge drag the poor things in, one of the hooks was about a size 14 and tied tothe line with a few grannie knots, the line was about 8lbat most,

it may be the number of pegs crammed closein like a match water would have , that people use their clutch set to maximum , but i feel there is no need , an appolagie to the angler next to you if the fish swims into their lines and pevents damage to a fish costs nothing

im not sure I will return, think a blank session on a water where the fish are the priority of the anglers will suit me better

Bowza

• 5 weeks later...

Well drove past today so stopped for a look,

All the damn wall boards are now complete, and have new anti slip coating on them, new metal work for brollies and rod rests attached,

the water is at the lowest ive ever seen it, for those who know the layout it has about 20 pegs either side at the far end looking from the damn wall that are not fishable as no water is there.

at the damn wall the water must be 6 feet past the botton step, landing fish from the damn wall will be tricky like this.

any all other pegs people are fishing from the hard mud banks about 20 feet away from the wooden decking

the fish must all be on top of one another, the surafce area of water must be half its normal , this cant be good for the oxegenation of the water and the fish health

Bowza