The actual Hair Rig

daleg2008

I'm having trouble finding a guide on how to tie an Actual Rig where the hair is a thin piece of mono tied to the bend of the hook. Can anyone explain or send me a link to actually tie it?

Thanks Dale

Probably a couple of ways :wink:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37416

From the bottom link I remember Andy Little explaining that he found it easier to make a continuation from the hook knot and down the shank, (can be done with the knotless knot or any knot to include a hair material inside the knot barrel) held in place with a couple of pieces of silicone, but you know about that one, cos I remember your Silicon splitting :P:wink::lol:

Try getting a length of mono/or hair material, roughly double the length you want as a hair. Double Overhand knot the 2 ends together, you then have a loop at the other end. Put loop alongside hook bend, then the knotted piece put over hook bend and down through the loop. Put bait in loop and then put stop in. (Does that make sense?). It is a double thickness hair, but the tight loop doesn't slip far :wink::wink:

Or get your hair material, tie loop in end for bait stop, then attach to hook with a grinner or blood knot on the bend.

I'm having trouble finding a guide on how to tie an Actual Rig where the hair is a thin piece of mono tied to the bend of the hook. Can anyone explain or send me a link to actually tie it?

Thanks Dale

Probably a couple of ways :wink:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37416

From the bottom link I remember Andy Little explaining that he found it easier to make a continuation from the hook knot and down the shank, (can be done with the knotless knot or any knot to include a hair material inside the knot barrel) held in place with a couple of pieces of silicone, but you know about that one, cos I remember your Silicon splitting :P:wink::lol:

Try getting a length of mono/or hair material, roughly double the length you want as a hair. Double Overhand knot the 2 ends together, you then have a loop at the other end. Put loop alongside hook bend, then the knotted piece put over hook bend and down through the loop. Put bait in loop and then put stop in. (Does that make sense?). It is a double thickness hair, but the tight loop doesn't slip far :wink::wink:

Or get your hair material, tie loop in end for bait stop, then attach to hook with a grinner or blood knot on the bend.

Yeah i know what you mean. Well my theory is that how many people actually use a proper hair rig? the knotless knot is so easy to tie so i would dare to say 90% of anglers tie their hair in this manner.

This is where it got me thinking. when they first used them i beleive they had problems with the hook turning and catching hold? well with all the hook patterns we have available today maybe there is a way around it and still tying it to the bend of the hook? i was thinking of a curv shank with shrink tubing and trying out different angles to try and get a decent hook hold.

I beleive the whole idea of the hair was when the carp mouthed the bait they felt no hook? now days they might of grown acustom to feeling for braid? its still thin in diameter but is it thin enough?

Ill also play around with the breaking strain in the mono and might try and get hold of some really thin braid. Its going to be a fiddly job, but how many anglers would bother?

Hopefully be tryng my ideas out on Friday on a local day ticket water. its not hard, but its not easy so should be a good testing ground. i will note the hook holds and give each rig a fair chance. i will post results if anyone would be interested?

Slack Lines

Dale

Guest Anonymous
What material are you using for a hooklink?

its a 2lb breaking strain mono.

:shock: the hair must be thin then :lol:

My reason for asking was because of the size of the knot going down the shank but you seem to want it on the bend anyway.

I might tie it on the shank. i think the bend would be better for them not to suss you out to easily, as the knotless knot leaves the shank. yeah i want the hair as thin as possible. i also know thought about balancing the bait, but then putting a shot underneath the hook eye so when the bait is eventually sucked in the extra weight shold drop the hook.