leadcore + running rig

mcdunners

decided that my fishing could probabily benifit from using leadcore after watching korda underwater, and the use of a flying back lead, but i only fish with running leads does any1 else use leadcore and a flying back lead with a running rig and haveyou found that it reduces sensitivity/ bite indication ont the bobbin because of the added weight of the lead core?

hould i fish a lead with a wider swivel?

I use ESP Leadcore and Running Leads and a Slack Line for the majority of my Fishing and there are quite a few posts on this subject if you have a search.

I think that with Running Leads you are actually increasing the sensitivity and get a better indication. The Leadcore keeps the Line down to the Lakebed and provides a bit of resistance to a Taking Fish, but I don't think enough weight for the Carp to use it as a Lever to use to eject the hook. Also if using Barbless enough resistance to hold the hook in on the Take. Incidentally I have not lost a fish on this set-up since I have started using it with Barbed or Barbless hooks.

I use Solar Run Rings, Buffer Beads and beads for all of my fishing as I found that they work for me and prefer to avoid using Korda Tackle as Solar are the original and in my view the Best.

The thread below has a pic of my Leadcore set-up, which is spliced at both ends and set so I can change rigs in seconds. The rest of the thread is about Hook Sharpness.

https://forum.carp.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=17291

The running rig is quite similar to the bolt rig, as to using hooklength, bait and a leader such as leadcore. The difference is that when a fish takes the bait it feels very little resistance, as the mainline and leadcore runs through a low friction ring attached to the weight. This set up is becoming more and more popular these days, as it goes against the rigs the majority of anglers use. It can help get those extra bites from rig shy carp. A buffer bead is attached on the mainline side of the swivel, to protect the knot, and allow the leader to run through the ring unaffected.

(image and text from my website)

the lead is attatched to the run ring with a snap link covered with some thick silicon tubing

Description straight from Solar Tackle:

Eazi-Glide Run Rings

Solar’s Eazi-Glide Run Rings are perfect for those running lead rigs or any situation where you need the line to run freely. They also work perfectly when used in conjunction with our Buffer and Bullet Safety Beads.

http://www.solartackle.co.uk/

No I don't like using a flying Backlead with leadcore, just incase it jams up on the leadcore Mainline knot. The Running lead may then be trapped onto the Leadcore

• 2 weeks later...
Guest terrypearce

Personally, I wont use lead core. They are a death rig in my opinion.

You have say, a 15lb mainline tied to a 45lb leadcore. Attached to that, say a 20lb hooklink.

Where is the weak spot.

The 15lb line - 45lb leadcore. This could leave a fish towing a considerable amount of kit behind it.

I think that everyones opinions are valid, but I do make sure that my Leadcore rigs can eject the Lead and don't get jammed up.

I don't even have a problem with the splices at either end of the Leadcore and they are NOT GLUED as the splice pulls tight onto itself.

I use 15lb Mainline attached to the Leadcore with a Uni knot into the splice and have not had a Snap-up since I started using it.

The Hooklink is 15lb either in Braid/Coated Braid or Amnesia

The weak spot in any set-up is going to be the Knots. The knot that attaches the hooklink or the Knot attaching the Leadcore to the Mainline. I have full confidence in attaching the Mainline to the Leadcore with a Uni Knot and the hooklink to swivel with loop knot or Uni Knot, knowing that if anything breaks it will be the Swivel knot.

I have landed Hard Fighting Carp on this set-up to well over 20lbs.

i know what u meen the carpcould end up toeing a length of leadcore behind it but i just make sure i know my knots are reli strong and just take my time playing a fish to minimize chances of the linesnapping. i used leadcore for the first time on wednesday and after a year of carp fishing i caught my first 20Ib+ fish. i think as long as the lead can pass over the leadcore and the leadcore isnt rediculously long then it's as safe as ur going to get it.

Guest terrypearce

As long as common sense is used. I have seen some horrible rigs, some using 15lb-45 leadcore- 25 hybrid etc. I have banned it on my lake. My mates moaned a bit, but you cannot keep an eye on it all the time. They can take it or leave it. Its just my opinion and preference.

You have say, a 15lb mainline tied to a 45lb leadcore. Attached to that, say a 20lb hooklink.

Where is the weak spot.

The 15lb line - 45lb leadcore. This could leave a fish towing a considerable amount of kit behind it.

i toyally agree the leaders i use a no more than 3 feet

First class stuff on as part of a running rig

i have heard of guys using 10-12 feet. not good.

i would not recommend a new fisherman using leadcore until they a are certian they are tying rigs properly and there knots have been tested against a few fish.

i use the korda running rigs

sorry salokcinnodrog:D :D

Guest Anonymous

Where is the weak spot.

Dont always agree with you Terry but this time 100% in agreement I cant stand the stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see whats being said but at the end of the day any rig no matter what can become a death rig in the wrong hands.:x

The clear leaders that are now so popular are just as dangerous I believe.

I do use lead core no more than 3ft and I use it with both running leads and even safer the helicopter rig. Hopfully then if the line parts they only have a hooklink to discard.

At the end of the day if a carp is trailing a lentgh of 10/12 or 15lb line and snag up, I dont believe they would get out of it at all.(no way could it break on a straight pull)

Why is it Carp anglers always use higher strentgh hooklinks to there main line?, match anglers don't.

How many times do carp anglers pack up made up rods get them out next session and have not even checked there leader knotts etc.

If I ran a lake I would have to carry out regular rig checks, especially on a day ticket water where anyone could tun up.

• 3 weeks later...
Why is it Carp anglers always use higher strentgh hooklinks to there main line?

Some hooklength materials in lower breaking strains tangle easier.

Higher breaking strains/stiffer material such as fluorocarbon because of the anti-rejection properties and hooking effects.

I`ve used braid in 4lb,7lb & 10lb and it`s ************e. It just unravels itself during a session, but in 15lb it`s fine.

So in a nutshell - desired effect and presentation.

Also, the rod and mainline cushions the fish lunges etc, but a short hooklength of lighter material will break before the mainline.