chod/helicopter rig

carp_addict16

well i have a question about this rig my loacal lake has banned fixed lead's and i am just woundering if they they are classed as that on this rig. i know how to make rigs but i dont understand them and need to the help lol

pb aaron

That means your only option is to use a Lead Set-up that the lead can slide up and down the line, i.e a Running Lead (d'oh, sounds a bit obvious said like that doesn't it :wink: )

There is a picture of a Running Lead set-up

Here, although you don't need the tubing, although it can help prevent tangles it does also reduce indication slightly

Now i could be wrong, but this is what i would think of doing. (That is, if sem-fixed is allowed) Bear in mind, that i dont use/have the need to use silt rigs at present, but i do understand the mechanics. This is just something i thought of due to your problem. Still learning myself, but one must use a little ingenuity at times eh? :oops::?

Maybe you could use some form of break away link at the bottom of the silt rig, so that it snaps off in the event of a snag.

Instead of tieing a lead to the set up (creating a fixed lead set-up) tie a break away link, then attach the lead. (doesn't this then become a semi-fixed silt rig?)

If the silt is deep, you may end up losing a few leads everytime you wind the rod in, but thats only a few pennies right? Isnt catching the fish more important?

Someone please correct me if i am wrong about substituting the fixed lead for a break away link.

Gordon will correct me, i'm sure of it. :twisted:

^ Nothing to see here. ^

Now i could be wrong, but this is what i would think of doing. (That is, if sem-fixed is allowed) Bear in mind, that i dont use/have the need to use silt rigs at present, but i do understand the mechanics. This is just something i thought of due to your problem. Still learning myself, but one must use a little ingenuity at times eh? :oops::?

Maybe you could use some form of break away link at the bottom of the silt rig, so that it snaps off in the event of a snag.

Instead of tieing a lead to the set up (creating a fixed lead set-up) tie a break away link, then attach the lead. (doesn't this then become a semi-fixed silt rig?)

If the silt is deep, you may end up losing a few leads everytime you wind the rod in, but thats only a few pennies right? Isnt catching the fish more important?

Someone please correct me if i am wrong about substituting the fixed lead for a break away link.

Gordon will correct me, i'm sure of it. :twisted:

^ Nothing to see here. ^

:lol::lol::lol:

Well spotted! :wink::D

it may be that the Club have a Ban on Fixed Leads where the Lead cannot release as in the lead jammed on a swivel or fixed between 2 swivels which do constitute a Death Rig if cracked off.

They may allow the Semi-Fixed set-up where the Lead can pull off a Lead Clip.

Think you may have to do a bit of checking on the rules very closely.

Incidentally a Paper clip can be used to attach the lead to bottom Swivel on a Heli-Set-up (and any Running Lead), although you will need to PVA it from Lead to swivel to prevent it coming off on the cast. Yet when the Lead snags, the Paper Clip opens up and the lead will release.

Nick