Epsom Stew Ponds

I know that there is a close season on this lake at the mo which doesnt lift till mid June but can anyone tell me anything about it? There seems to be very very little information i can find by Googling it.

I am looking for a water i can go to for a few hours after work during the week to try a bit of surface fishing. Can this lake be recommended or any others local to Epsom/Sutton?

Thanks

Hi,

We live local to Epsom and when my son and me started fishing again we went to the Stew Ponds to have a look and spoke to a couple of anglers fishing.

They both said that everything is ledger as its quite deep and it is appently 'well' over fished.

Again apparently, it has a problem with kids in the summer evenings.

I must say that I only got this from the two guys at the pond, I dont know of anything for definate.

The only other place is Old Bury Hill Lakes in Dorking, I know its not Sutton/Epsom but its the only one I would recommend for an evenings fishing.

Have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, the lake isn't deep at all. It averages about 3ft and the deapest part of the lake is supposedly 5ft.

I wouldn't recommend it at all, during the close season last year over 40 Carp died. This doesn't help when it is already under stocked. The baliffs said that they were going to re-stock it this year, but i'm not to sure if they are going to/have. Float fishing can be okay at times but still not worth making the trip for.

If you're looking for a place to catch lots of fish on the float then i would look at joining Long Corpse, Fetcham. It's hard to find on the internet because it's a lake that belongs to Leatherhead and district angling society, not sure how much it costs for adults, but it's £30 for juniors. Last season i went for a day trip and caught over 70 fish averaging 1lb, mainly Carp, some Goldfish(seriously) and Tench. All caught on luncheon meat.