Zig Rigs...

theshadow

Hi i've been fishing for a few years now,And i've heard alot about fish staying in the middle of the water,in the thermoclines i think they call it. I've fished for carp on the top and on the bottom,and had some fairly good results.But i would like to have a go using the zig rig,as i've read a pouple of articles in some magazines and the zig outfished any other rig.I know it isn't used alot on my local waters so im thinking they will work well. I would be gratefull if anyone has any user friendly rigs? As i've heard it can be awkward casting.Any response would be much appreciated.

you just set up with stardard semi-fixed legering gear, i prefer inlines, as it keeps the centre of gravity on the line. To stop the lead from swinging everywhere whilst landing a fish, but safety-clip gear will be fine too. i prefer using 1oz - 2oz leads for thins, as it'll make landing fish easier.

from the lead instead of a standard hooklength you tie one from around 1ft upto to 12ft. A good starting point is half the depth of water you're fishing in. And then the hookbait will be halfway between the lakebed and surface. i use 10lb drennan double strength for this. But any line between 8-10lbs will be fine. Thicker lines will weight down the pop-up, and lighter ones you will risk being snapped, unless the fish you're going for are not too big (upto 10lbs)

You tie this rig just incorporating a knotless knot, just with more line.

On the hair rig you put on a floating bait, i prefer tutti pop-ups, but anything which will stay on the hook for a while is fine, fake baits etc.

When casting with a long hooklength, say 6ft or more, i is better to place the hookbait into a cup whilst casting, and have the line between the rod tip and hook. so it wont hook anything as easy when you cast out

hope it helps matey

tight lines

courtz

Guest terrypearce

Spot on courtz. I use the same set up as pictured. I use either green lipped mussel or hi-fiz pineapple and have had some stunning results.

you just set up with stardard semi-fixed legering gear, i prefer inlines, as it keeps the centre of gravity on the line. To stop the lead from swinging everywhere whilst landing a fish, but safety-clip gear will be fine too. i prefer using 1oz - 2oz leads for thins, as it'll make landing fish easier.

from the lead instead of a standard hooklength you tie one from around 1ft upto to 12ft. A good starting point is half the depth of water you're fishing in. And then the hookbait will be halfway between the lakebed and surface. i use 10lb drennan double strength for this. But any line between 8-10lbs will be fine. Thicker lines will weight down the pop-up, and lighter ones you will risk being snapped, unless the fish you're going for are not too big (upto 10lbs)

You tie this rig just incorporating a knotless knot, just with more line.

On the hair rig you put on a floating bait, i prefer tutti pop-ups, but anything which will stay on the hook for a while is fine, fake baits etc.

When casting with a long hooklength, say 6ft or more, i is better to place the hookbait into a cup whilst casting, and have the line between the rod tip and hook. so it wont hook anything as easy when you cast out

hope it helps matey

tight lines

courtz

so that is a zig rig eh .. no differant from the way i fished crust 30 yrs ago ,apart from the clip .. not a new innovation then

would love to know how its been modified :)

just with the use of

anti-tangle, safety rigs which will eject the leads

pop-ups which are more bouyant

low diameter hooklength materials such as double strength ans silkshock

and also the adaption of a running zig rig.

in old books i've seen zigs with 2 ssgs crimped onto the line for weight

you need to throw ur books and korda dvds away

i don't use books or dvd's, they're a rip off.

got the idea of zigs from this forum

why should i use simpler tactics, when i can just adapt the set ups i already use, by using a longer hooklength?

no point in spending extra extra money, when i've already got kit fine if not better for the job needed.

i'm pretty sure 1lb line would break on the cast when casting 60yds with a 2oz lead.

tight lines

courtz

i don't use books or dvd's, they're a rip off.

got the idea of zigs from this forum

i'm pretty sure 1lb line would break on the cast when casting 60yds with a 2oz lead.

tight lines

courtz

You can learn a hell of a lot from Books. Like the fact that Rod Hutchinson recommended Suspended Baits in The Carp Strikes Back about 20 YEARS AGO. And also for doubling up on Paternoster Lengths when you fish Paternosted Floating Baits. He recommended the Use of a Fixed and a Bolt Rig for Suspended Baits, as he called them, not a Blooming Zig Rig

He also recommended using 1-3lb line for 2-3 oz Leads. Just attach it with PVA when Casting, lol and it doesn't break

courtz was just answering the original question and i think he did it well he didnt ask about the history of the zig rig just how to use it effectively

he didnt claim that he invented it as long as it works for him thats all that matters and by the sounds of things it does well done courtz :D

are you meaning that you can use a 1lb mainline because if that is the case its hardly a safe method is it when fishing for carp

the lead is attached to the main line swivel run ring what ever by a weak link .. not for use as mainline

i was never trying to get into an argument in the first place

i was just helping out another angler on a question he asked

IT'S WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR ISN'T IT!!!

i'm going to act my age and end the argument now

i just hope fosco has the maturity to do the same

tight lines

courtz

i just hope fosco has the maturity to do the same ..i was not argueing with you . i was telling you how it is how the zig happened .. there is more to life than the zig .. . think it is a crap rig .. not saying it does not produce fish ,it does a lot , but for you it is zig this zig that .. half the thing you post are coppied . as i noted you deleated some of your posts .. For your age i am well impressed with ur dedication to carp fishing , remind me of my self at your age ..

so all i am saying is no more zigs please :)

Only as a weak link, same as tying a lead on for weed.

ok thats fine i think thats where the wires crossed to be honest on that one :D

i think courtz probably knows a lot more than the zig rig too but this guy wanted the advice and he seems qualified enough to give him that seeing as he can make it work for him where as you just dismiss it as a crap rig

ill admit ive never caught a fish on a zig rig but ive never caught a fish on plastic corn either and lots of people do so its just a case of right time right place thats what makes a great angler using the right tactic at the right time

Guest Anonymous

There is no doubt that the zig or whatever you call it catches fish. I think peoples main objection is that it is claimed as a recent innovation where in reality it is a 25year old rig thats just been reinvented.

There is no doubt that the zig or whatever you call it catches fish. I think peoples main objection is that it is claimed as a recent innovation where in reality it is a 25year old rig thats just been reinvented.

It`s happening with all rigs tho innit,after all the rags have got to have something to print,but it`s something that gets on my nerves.

The trouble is these so called top expert carp anglers are always trying to convert you into useing rigs etc. that they reckon they catch fish on,but do they?.They try to encourage you to spend your money by saying hey this is the latest inovation in carp fishing and you will catch fish.Most of these rigs,as already said,go back before some of you were born.Ok if you're happy in spending your money, go ahead,nothing to do with me.

No one can guarantee that the rig you're using caught a fish.In fact can you 100% guarantee that the bait,rig etc. caught you that fish.I think not.Oh i'm not saying it doesn't help mind.

I fish purely for pleasure and simple methods work for me and i do catch fish.I do not go on a lake targeting a particular fish and those that do i have the utmost respect for them.

Anyway hope i aint offended anyone that wasn't my intention.If you are catching fish useing the methods you are useing,great,keep it up.

Back to the thread.I have never used the zig rig but will give it a try,never know it may give me an edge where other methods might fail.

Regards....Malc.

PS.Some of you young lads on here have got alot of knowledge whether it be from books,films etc.Its experience that counts and there are alot of experienced anglers on here so listen to them and take it all in.No harm in a good debait but abuse will get you no where.