rig safety

binfield

i have just finished reading the thread on aprils acf. quite an array of opinion. what i agreed with was tryzard's comment about rig safety in tems of set up. So does anybody have a rig they deem safe in terms of set up. this is not another leadcore bashing thread. i am interested to learn about people rigs and set ups as im quite new to carp fishing.

what no takers then? Is this because your rigs are a closely guarded secret :):):):lol:

No..... its because the weekends on the forum are notoriously slow, everyone either out fishing or doing other things. In answer to your question though, for me i think the only safe rig imaginable would be a simple running ledger (with quite a large bore on the swivel of the lead itself) sliding directly on your mainline.

Thats the way to go fella.

By all means try different materials but get your confidence in one sort and stick with it. I use 5 different hooklength materials for different fishing scenarios and they are.....

Stiff coated braid - Armaled Kik Bak

Soft coated braid - ESP Striptease

Braid - ESP Sinklink

Flourocarbon (for my combi links only) - Korda IQ

And for my choddys - ESP Stiff Bristle Filament

And thats it, i wouldnt dream of using anything else.

i have just finished reading the thread on aprils acf. quite an array of opinion. what i agreed with was tryzard's comment about rig safety in tems of set up. So does anybody have a rig they deem safe in terms of set up. this is not another leadcore bashing thread. i am interested to learn about people rigs and set ups as im quite new to carp fishing.

Blimey, someone agreed with me - I must be slipping! :lol::lol:

Seriously though, I agree with Tony on the safest possible rig, although I add a short length of anti-tangle tubing (Korda) more for peace of mind than anything else.

I don't like running rigs in thick weed, however, as I prefer to dump the lead. In this case I'll use a lead clip with the tail rubber only just pushed onto the clip. You can tie the clip closed with PVA tape to stop the lead coming adrift during the cast (or should I say when the rig hits the water). I've heard the new Nash weed clips are brilliant but I haven't tried them yet.

I haven't used anything but soft coated braid for my hooklengths for ages. My choice is ESP Stripteaze.

I like the idea of dumping the lead on the take, but that for me isnt practical both for cost reasons and also environmental reasons ie lake full of dumped leads. I didnt know it was possible to dump the lead on a running rig. Will look into those rings ,sounds like a very good idea.

I like the idea of dumping the lead on the take, but that for me isnt practical both for cost reasons and also environmental reasons ie lake full of dumped leads. I didnt know it was possible to dump the lead on a running rig. Will look into those rings ,sounds like a very good idea.

£1 per each fish landed - given all the advantages of dropping the lead, theres not much cost is there?

Im still very much concerned about the environmental side of things though with the dumping leads after each take.

What are your concerns Tony, maybe I can help? I run my own business and, guess what, it's an environmental management consultancy! :)

Im just thinking about the water quality on any certain venue where leads have been dumped quite regularly! Would it do anything to it whereas the fish could suffer in the long term? Because once a lead as been dumped, thats it, its there forever and nothing short of donning scuba gear and trying to find them out will rectify that.

Obviously my fears maybe totally unfounded but it would be nice to know all the same.

Im just thinking about the water quality on any certain venue where leads have been dumped quite regularly! Would it do anything to it whereas the fish could suffer in the long term? Because once a lead as been dumped, thats it, its there forever and nothing short of donning scuba gear and trying to find them out will rectify that.

Obviously my fears maybe totally unfounded but it would be nice to know all the same.

There's absolutely no doubt that lead dissolves in water. Water pipes used to be made of lead and people could be, and were, poisoned by their drinking water! This is worse in acid water (i.e. water with a pH lower than 6.5, commonly referred to as "soft" water).

Toxins such as lead may be absorbed by fish through the skin and mucous membranes. It is a cumulative poison that, over a period of time, may affect vital organs such as the liver. However, fish seem to have a far greater tolerance of these toxins. There are tuna swimming around in the ocean containing levels of mercury and cadmium which would kill humans!

It's all a question of scale. Given the quantity of lead weights which may be present in a lake and their extremely slow dissolution rate in a large volume of water I would imagine that it would take a very long time for fish to be affected. Certainly many times longer than their natural lifespan.

It's a good question though Tony - the sign of a thinking angler.

dumping leads is a thing for thought. if a lake is fished by alot of anglers and just 5 of those anglers dumps a lead per week thats over 260 leads per year on the bed times that by years of lead dumping?. maybe somebody should be designing a lead that breaks down quickly :)

There's an awful lot of complicated science on this subject but not much of it relates to fish.

Lead split shot and the smaller sizes of lead weights were originally banned because of the incidence of birds (particularly swans) being poisoned by swallowing them. There was then no evidence that larger weights made from lead caused any ecolological problems and, as far as I can tell, this remains the case.

In humans, lead poisoning is more commonly caused by ingestion or inhalation. There is very little data on absorption, which is how fish take on these toxins.

Lead toxicity is measured in parts per million (ppm). In humans, mild symptoms of lead poisoning may occur at a level of 0.45ppm in the bloodstream. Assuming that all the lead is absorbed immediately into the blood (which it is not) a human would have to drink more than 2 litres of water containing 1ppm of dissolved lead.

If this water came from a lake which is 1 acre in size with a uniform depth of 1 metre, there would have to be 47x3oz leads totally dissolved in it to reach the 1ppm level.

Given that:

1. Lead dissolves extremely slowly in water.

2. Absorption rates are nothing like 100%.

3. Fish are known to have a higher level of tolerance to toxins.

is there a problem? I would conclude there is not, and anglers would have to lose enough leads to raise the water level in lakes to make it one!

If your really concerned by lead dissolving, it wouldn't be hard to fix.

Dip them in a water based Polyurethane finish, hang them till they get tacky, and give them a shower of sand for camouflage.

Hey presto, lead is safely sealed away behind a non toxic plastic finish. And they won't look like everyone else's leads.

so i know the running rig is a fav, and quite safe but what about other rigs such as the shocker rig, can this be used without a leader, is it a safe rig to use at all.??.

I use this 99% of the time, The shocker rig is not a new rig, as a matter of fact it was the original bolt rig from the early 80's and still works it's magic! However all I use is hooklink>>>swivel>>>bead>>>running lead>>>bead>>> float stop. If the line parts for any reason, the float stop will pull of the line, easily releasing the lead :wink: