what lead to use in deep silt

slimysime

hi lads, just a quick one, i will be fishing next week at a 3.5 acre pit, its a cracking looking water with some nice fish up to 32lb, but the lake is covered in about 2ft of silt all over, how would you lads present a bottom bait, not popped up, and secondly wot size and shape of leads would you use, bearing in mind i wont be casting more than 20/30 yards. phewww i think ive covered my needs here, any thoughts would be great :lol:

sime

My local is very silty. A tackle shop I use stock some leads shaped like a 2 pound coin, they're excellent for this lake, because they seem to slow the whole set-up right down on entering the water. I also use pva bags with hooklength and weight inside, because of the large surface area created this also seems to keep things above the silt. I've recently read an article where a bloke swears by inline leads for silty bottoms, something about the way in which the lead falls through the water at an angle, because it is in direct contact with your mainline. I also like to use slightly longer hooklengths for my own piece of mind, usually something in the region of about 12".

As for the weight of leads, I don't own any over 2 oz, so anything under that does me.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it isn't of any use my advice to slimeysime now, but to other guys may be usefull in the future.

For silty waters the best leads are the Trilobe leads, better if in-line. This leads when enter the water start raise the nose and slow down. So were where a dumpy pear or a flat pear lead starts drilling for oil, the trilobe lead setteles on the lake bed and it gives the fish a chance to see your bait.

The solution with the PVA bag is also good as long as you don't pierce the bag. The air that is traped inside the bag slows it's descend.

Hope it helps, Mihai!

• 2 weeks later...

Freeline it 20 yards. Problem solved.

Or you could just floatfish with a crystal waggler on a sliding rig with a stop knot so it casts neatly into the hole - probably the most fun way to catch carp anyway! I would probably fish lift style to keep the float in one place in case the wind blows but obviously up to you!!!