Shocker Rig (Running with back stop)

fishingaddict

ed,

i use this rig an awful lot, and, in answer to your question's,1 no i dont think its the most versatile, due to it being an in-line, if you are fishing over silt, the lead will drag your hooklength into the silt aswell, and also, 2 yeah the hooklength does matter for that reason, plus it also depends how far up the leader/tubing you put your bead, to how far the lead will come back. plus if you tighten up the line to the lead after the cast, the lead should be bang on the swivel!

hope this helps pal

bill :D

Hi Ed,

I fish this rig 99% of the time, however mine has no tubing/leader. Hooklink>>>swivel>>>bead>>>running lead>>>bead>>>float stop, Simple as but very effective! I fish this with a 5-6 inch stiff rig and is suitable for most bottom make ups, hope this helps!

i have used it twice recently firstly with a little PVA bag covering the hook and then cast this into the the weed on the lake, got 1 run but unfortunately lost the fish.

the second time i had turned up to the lake at night and didnt know where it was clear, i actually found i had cast it into thick weed but actually landed a load of bream from the week.

i used it with a short rig so the fish doesnt have ages before it hits the bead.

hope this helps! :D

• 1 month later...

Just realised over time that what is now known as a Shocker set up with the Back Stop is probably the original Bolt Rig, or more correctly with the Lead attached Pendant style :wink:

Amazing how things change over time, and what we now call a Bolt Rig is a Standard Semi-Fixed set-up.

Its amusing how we can change things simply by using Tight or slack lines as the original Bolt rig I believe had the lines tight and in clips?

Just realised over time that what is now known as a Shocker set up with the Back Stop is probably the original Bolt Rig, or more correctly with the Lead attached Pendant style :wink:

Amazing how things change over time, and what we now call a Bolt Rig is a Standard Semi-Fixed set-up.

Its amusing how we can change things simply by using Tight or slack lines as the original Bolt rig I believe had the lines tight and in clips?

Ah yes... the good old days... Bolt rigs ...tight line and clipped up...

tell you what though it worked then and work well!! :D

Yes it definately was a bolt rig, still is to me :? The fish hits the lead and bolts - screaming run.

Worked then, works now. We used to use a No.4 split shot though, not a bead, which is why I never liked them much. Obviously fish left towing rig around. Although a carp can easily break a no.4 split shot off it wasn't something I was happy with. The stop knot and bead setup works well nowadays but it is slightly different so i guess it was called a shocker rig instead. Anyone remember messing around with a biro pen... :D To be honest, the line was clipped up tight, yes, but there was no more than an inch between the two split shot so tight or slack line didn't make much difference as the rig was a 'self-hooking' rig. Thats what I remember anyway.

T

Yes it definately was a bolt rig, still is to me :? The fish hits the lead and bolts - screaming run.

Worked then, works now. We used to use a No.4 split shot though, not a bead, which is why I never liked them much. Obviously fish left towing rig around. Although a carp can easily break a no.4 split shot off it wasn't something I was happy with. The stop knot and bead setup works well nowadays but it is slightly different so i guess it was called a shocker rig instead. Anyone remember messing around with a biro pen... :D To be honest, the line was clipped up tight, yes, but there was no more than an inch between the two split shot so tight or slack line didn't make much difference as the rig was a 'self-hooking' rig. Thats what I remember anyway.

T

Hutchy describes it as a gap of between 6inches and 3feet :wink:

this is a set up ive always wanted to use but have never had the stuff to use it such as float stops

Buy some then Dave, but make sure they are not too tight, and will slide on the take, you can buy different sizes.

Jon, 1-2oz is enough to start the spool wizzing :wink:

The art with this little nugget Jon, is to fish semi slack line, and tension the line with a light hanger, not fished on the floor! It will add tension to the line, but still semi slack, and the bow ( Arc ) effect, is your friend, until they hit the stop! As you can still get drop backs, this is true, This to me is the most sensitive set up I have ever seen, Beep, beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppp! :twisted:

this is a set up ive always wanted to use but have never had the stuff to use it such as float stops

i use a rubber bead on the tubing mate

I would be a bit careful if using a bead on the tubing. When trying to pull one off have you ever noticed the tubing tends to 'scrunch' up? This is one of the reasons why I won't set a helicopter rig up with tubing :wink:

i use a rubber bead on the tubing mate

I would be a bit careful if using a bead on the tubing. When trying to pull one off have you ever noticed the tubing tends to 'scrunch' up? This is one of the reasons why I won't set a helicopter rig up with tubing :wink:

I actually stopped using a Shocker set-up with Bead on the tubing. Even though Solar make or made them with their soft rubber beads that do normally slide, as their Running rigs, I got a little worried that the bead may hold the Lead on the tubing and create a potential rig that couldn't eject the lead.

I don't know whether there are new snags in my lake from trip to trip, and don't want to be attaching a lead via Paper clip everytime, as in most cases I have no need to lose it.

Guest fenboy

The worry I have with a shocker type set up is that if you crack off the chances are that you will have a birds nest of mono behind the stop so it will not let the stop bead or float stop pull off ,in fact this is a problem with most set ups other than lead clips ,even on my prefered running rig it is possible that the runring may become jammed ,obviously the bigger the ring the less chance ,but float stops ,beads and inline running leads prove even more of a risk .

Think of this ,when you drag someone elses line in its not in a nice straight line is it ? chances are its all in a tangle,too much of a tangle for a float stop or bead to pull off.

There are plenty of rigs that look safe on dry land ,but put them in worst case senario and its a different story ,I dont think there is anything like a 100% safe rig ,but we have to make them as safe as posible and to me that means no beads/floatstops etc ,just something extra to jam up thats not needed.

The worry I have with a shocker type set up is that if you crack off the chances are that you will have a birds nest of mono behind the stop so it will not let the stop bead or float stop pull off ,in fact this is a problem with most set ups other than lead clips ,even on my prefered running rig it is possible that the runring may become jammed ,obviously the bigger the ring the less chance ,but float stops ,beads and inline running leads prove even more of a risk .

Think of this ,when you drag someone elses line in its not in a nice straight line is it ? chances are its all in a tangle,too much of a tangle for a float stop or bead to pull off.

There are plenty of rigs that look safe on dry land ,but put them in worst case senario and its a different story ,I dont think there is anything like a 100% safe rig ,but we have to make them as safe as posible and to me that means no beads/floatstops etc ,just something extra to jam up thats not needed.

You are absolutely spot on Fenboy, a man after my own heart. As far as I'm concerned there is no advantage to having, and therefore no need to have, any kind of stop up the line. I have fished light leads on running rigs for many years now and have caught stacks of big carp without the need for any additional "self hooking" aids. With a sharp hook and slack, heavy lines the bites are invariably fliers and don't need striking.

Stops are binned! However this still does guarantee a snag can not form, even from a running lead! At the end of the day we try to fish as "safely" as possible, But with a hook and line many things can happen :idea: