alternative to lead core

chris27

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this method with a lead clip setup? what size leads do you prefer to use then?

No lead clip needed, just a freerunning lead, I try to use the lightest lead for the distance fished and the bottom make up, hope this helps, but give it a go.......

I ve had the same isues on a lake that i joined this year, messed around wih strong (40lb from memory) flurocarbon leaders of a 3 foot long or so but disnt really like them as much as anything because of the safety issues so didnt even use them in the water.

In the end i ve setles on those TF Gear leaders in the weed green mainly, they are pretty versatile and i mainly use them with helicopter and running lead set ups, plus you can get them on e bay for about a tenner for 3. Which although is not as cheap as making your own leadcore up (which i still prefer) is not too bad.

Nathan

edited to say i only really use this set up when using helicopter rigs or when using braid when fishing running rigs at range, if fishing closer-to about 60 yards or so- i use mono straight through with slack lines as said above

is this method with a lead clip setup? what size leads do you prefer to use then?

Hello Chris, I'm glad you found this forum - please stick around long enough to learn a few things and read through the stickies.

This thread highlights why fisheries are banning things like leadcore.

by free running rig i take it you mean inline lead set up?

No, read Noknots post carefully :wink:

RUNNING LEAD on a Run Ring, no tubing, fished Slack, the line falls along the Lakebed naturally (which even Leadcore doesn't).

The only extra item on the line is a Bullet or Buffer Bead simply to protect the knot and stop the Run Ring going over the hooklink swivel.

Try having a read of these as well:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26640

Bite indication with a Running Lead set-up is also a whole lot better

how about, a korda safezone leader?

bill :D

I still find it difficult to know why you would want to use any kind of leader. It seems that some kind of leader seems to be "the in thing" at the moment and carp anglers don't seem to realise that the most effective rigs are those without any leader at all.

Leaders were designed to combat 2 situations.

1. Fishing over mussel beds or sharp objects. In this situation it would be necessary to use a fluoro or ready made leader but only when the lead can easily be ejected and ideally where the fish will only be left with a hook link to deal with. (heli-rig)

2. Extreme range casting. A long (24 ft ish) leader is used to absorb the initial shock of the cast. Again it is essential that the safety of the rig is well though out.

What most anglers don't seem to consider is the presentation (or lack of it) that occurs with any kind of leader. Lay any heavy leader of your choice in the shallows of you clear lake and you will find that they don't follow the contours of your lake bed and that they stick out much more than a length of your main line.

In short they are mainly designed to remove money from your wallet and not to improve your catch rates.

Keith

I only use leadcore if I am fishing the chod, if anyone could tell me how to make the Chod with out leadcore I would happily get rid of it :)

Use your brain-

There is no substitute for ingenuity :D

It is very easy with a bit of thought, why does everybody want to use the chod anyway- fashion????

I only use leadcore if I am fishing the chod, if anyone could tell me how to make the Chod with out leadcore I would happily get rid of it :)

Use your brain-

There is no substitute for ingenuity :D

It is very easy with a bit of thought, why does everybody want to use the chod anyway- fashion????

Why would you need leadcore for a Chod anyway? Surely the rig would move on mono much easier :?

thanks for the info will try a bit of putty, I used the leadcore cause I had clips which would release the lead if it got stuck, also the beads which I used for the chod on leadcore gave a bit more friction than what they did on mono, and as for fashion no I don't use it because of 'fashion' I use it because it has gave me the best results with popups if it didn't I wouldn't be using it!

What is it that you like about those damn things bill???? :lol::lol::lol:

I cant get on with them, the don't sit right, the don't look right and they are not heavy enough to follow the lake bed :? ???????

Hell- might as well use tubing :twisted:

Im a realy "riggy" person and i cant get them to work how i want :?

How do you do it???

Im starting to use no leader at all, like day one all those years ago when i started 8):lol:

Ive used fluro leaders for a year (now into the second) this im trying a braid shock leader on teh one rod to see if i can get to the carp out on the dam wall (130-150 yards????) and im pretty sure there are some muscle bed knocking about out there so im using shock braid that i use for spoding- lets see how it goes later this year :)

zander, im just not into leadcore mate, and the guy reccomended it to me, and i find it brilliant, i must say, i dont use the choddy that often, but when i do, (not being big headed) ive caught 90% of the time

magic, absolute magic!

bill :D

Im not using lead core much these days either bill, i do like it, but only in certain conditions :)

the korda leaders are a bit expensive to get snagged up bill, i always end up in a tree or a snag with out fail :oops::lol: another reason why i stopped using leaders :)

They do look smart and i like tying rigs up on them, just havnt caught enough on them over the last year or so so i dont have much confidence in them anymore unless im on a runs water :)