Heavy Silt- What rigs?

shabar2000

Hiya

My local 8 acre lake averaging 2 to 4 feet of water, has a bottom of heavy silt. What rigs are best suited? I think that in-line leads is a big mistake as if the lead sinks into the silt, then the hook link will stick out of the silt at a funny angle. Apart from that, I don't know what rigs to use.

I would appreciate any tips!!

shabar2000

the best rig would probably be a relatively long (8-10 inches) made of supple matterial like soft braid. a lead-clip set up probably be best as this should help to keep the rig out of the silt and the lead plugging improves the bolt-rig effect! make sure you attach some sort of PVA to keep the hookpoint from catching on things in the silt.

another rig would be the chod-rig which is designed to be fished in silt!

hope this helps! :D

i am by no means an expert on the chod rig :oops: !

it is basically a length of leadcore with the lead tied to the end of leader say with a quick change clip or a small length of 3lb line. then you slide a bead onto the leader which a swivel would be able to pass over with a bit of pressure. then slide on the hooklength swivel which should have a bigger eye to slide over the leadcore and the beads. then slide on another bead.

set the beads so they sink into the depth of the silt, say if the silt was 2 feet deep you would have the top bead 1.5 feet up and the 2nd 2.5 ft up so they hold the hooklength up in silt and make sure it doesnt sink!

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36456

that should help as well :D

Here you go mate :)

You need to put a gentle curve on the hooklink though :)

DSC01169.jpg

Ill tie a better one up later and change the pic as that set up is quite bulky tbf :?

this pic is like a year or 2 old :?

I dont use the cod mutch but i have used them, i used them today- didnt catch though so probably not a great example :roll:

Im gon'a be quiet now :?:lol:

Hiya

My local 8 acre lake averaging 2 to 4 feet of water, has a bottom of heavy silt. What rigs are best suited? I think that in-line leads is a big mistake as if the lead sinks into the silt, then the hook link will stick out of the silt at a funny angle. Apart from that, I don't know what rigs to use.

I would appreciate and tips!!

shabar2000

Hi Shabar,

To be honest I would just use a heavy lead!

And cast around as much of the lake as you can to find some spots" hard or clear" when it's not busy :wink: As these have been cleared by feeding fish, find these and they will produce Carp, and these areas will be there waiting to be found and any good rig will work on theses areas, Chod rigs will work "over" silt, so will lighter leads and longer hooklinks( be carefull, not too long if baiting with a particle, as you could be biten off) Another method I use in silt is after casting, put tension from the rod tip until you feel the lead pull free, this will bring the lead onto the silt and not deep in it(light lead) again, give it a go :wink:

Hi to make up a chod or silt rig tie up a rig like so.

untitled.jpg

Then simply thread a bead onto your mainline,make sure it has a large hole,next thread on the rig as shown through the swival,then another bead with a tight hole, then tie a figure of eight loop in the mainline.

Now if you are using floro line simply tie a lead to the loop, if using mono fasten a leader of choise eg 1 metre of floro or a smooth coated leader on,this leader must have a ring or swival tied to the end,then tie a lead with weak line to the ring.

Slide the tight bead down the lot untill its 4-6 inches from the lead,you will find you need to lubricate the line and leader to get the bead into position,especialy over the knot.

Slide the hooklink and other bead down the line,if this bead is restricted in anyway as it goes over the knot, change it for one with a bigger hole.

Then re- tie the lead with pva to take the cast,and also tie a piece of pva tape 40-60cm above the top bead to stop the hook and bead traveling to far up the mainline on the cast.

Use as light a lead as you can get away with, once cast out sink you line as usual then keep letting line out untill it is on the bottom from rod to lead.

The lead will sink into the silt and the hooklink will slide up the line untill it is just sitting ontop of the silt.

No matter which way the carp approaches the bait it will spin and on pickup so little resistence is felt as it is free running the carp simply cannot deal with it.

In the right hands,on the right waters it is quite simply unbeatable.

But it defenately is not for every water :wink:

As for fishing the lake you mention, do the carp feed in the silt?if so fish in it with a soft reliable braided hook link and heavy lead.

If the dont, then find the hardspots they have created, and fish on these if possible.

If however you find the fish simply graze the surface of the silt, then the chod or silt rig will prove effective.

PLEASE realise that the above version of the chod is perfectly safe, but it will not be found in the magazines, I also doubt will you find mention of fishing it compleatly slack.

Hope this is of some help,if somewhat long winded.

It makes sense! Yes, the carp do feed on the silt.

A thing that has always puzzled me is what should I be treating as a bite on a bite alarm when using a running rig?

I fish over silt for 90% of my fishing and I always use light leads (under 2oz) on running rigs. Believe me, if you fish slack line you won't need to worry about whether you have had a bite or not. Generally the sound of the bobbin smacking into the rod butt and the alarm vibrating your glasses off of the bivvy table is warning enough.

Generally the sound of the bobbin smacking into the rod butt and the alarm vibrating your glasses off of the bivvy table is warning enough.

I like that quote :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah I can imagine Keith sitting there in the sun with his feet up, a glass of red wine and the New ATT V2 goes into vibrate mode, Mmmmmmm A hard life, but it has to be done :wink:

Generally the sound of the bobbin smacking into the rod butt and the alarm vibrating your glasses off of the bivvy table is warning enough.

Yeah I can imagine Keith sitting there in the sun with his feet up, a glass of red wine and the New ATT V2 goes into vibrate mode, Mmmmmmm A hard life, but it has to be done :wink:

I don't know whether I can put up with it for much longer. :D

I'm sure you can keith and good luck with it Cheer's! :wink:

Keith life is truely hard is it not :wink:

Frank.

PS what air temps you got now?

Guest nickwinwood
I fish over silt for 90% of my fishing and I always use light leads (under 2oz) on running rigs. Believe me, if you fish slack line you won't need to worry about whether you have had a bite or not. Generally the sound of the bobbin smacking into the rod butt and the alarm vibrating your glasses off of the bivvy table is warning enough.

Questions about the above quote?

If I need to use a heavier lead to get the distace to the fish, using the same set us above do I...

1) Need to pull the lead out of the silt as it will effect the way the running rig performs wont it?

2) Fish with longer hooklinks or stick with standard lengths as if I were fishing a hard or gravel bottom?

Thanks